'89 Johnson VRO 40 HP Surges Power Loss

kenji69

Recruit
I hope you guys can help with this problem, there is a ton of experience on this site and it seems as though all you fellas are very helpful. I've looked at a ton of posts on various similar problems, but have yet to get a definite answer. The motor I have starts and idles fine, when I gun the accelerator the engine never gets above 1/4 power. Basically WOT and it feels like I barely have it idling in gear. As soon as I hit the primer switch on the ignition, she takes off running. Then about five seconds later I come back to reality. <br />I have bypassed the VRO and capped the oil line, about two months ago it ran fine, then it bogged down and started surging, now it is stuck bogging. I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel line(including bulb), fuel filter between fuel pump and carb, and the fuel pump. <br />Could there be an ignition problem? My mind tells me that it is a fuel problem because when the primer switch is hit, it takes off like a bat out of hell.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Stan :confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '89 Johnson VRO 40 HP Surges Power Loss

Sounds like you have a clogged carb. Since it would be a good idea to clean, and install kit's in both carbs, it does'nt matter which one is acting up. When you can make the engine come on power with the primer, that is a sure sign of a clogged carb.

kenji69

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply R.Johnson. <br />Are there any particular things to look out for, when rebuilding the carbs? <br />I'll get on the horn and see if I can find a shop with a couple of carb kits. I'd rather be fishing in my boat this weekend, but I guess working on a carb tomorrow is going to be an investment in more time fishing.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You will want a service manual. It will guide you through the cleaning and settings on the carbs, ,plus putting them back in sync. with the ignition system.