Any problems with VRO rebuilds(new info)

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My fuel pump went out yesterday (backing away from the pier thank goodness). We got it home and pulled the VRO pump apart to find a broken center "hub" on one of the diaphrams. The one with the metal threaded sleeve connected to it. I believe this is an upgraded system. It is labled VRO 2. My engine is a 1985 140 Evinrude. I have searched the board and found some help on finding rebuild kits. It looks like I can rebuild this unit with a diaphram kit and a VRO fuel diaphram kit for around $45.00. Has anyone had any experience rebuilding these units, is there any thing tricky. The unit looks pretty straight forward.<br /><br />Thanks

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any problems with VRO rebuilds(new info)

I too have a 85 140 Evinrude which I just rebuit.<br />I put the latest vro system which ran me $250+ labor.I did not install it myself. Just wondering if it would be worth your while to upgrade since you are going to repair the unit anyway. Supposingly the newer ones are not variable so they are constantly delivering a 50:1 ratio. Less chance<br /> of overheating. Worth looking in to.

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced and installed the latest version VRO/OMS on my 1985 XP 150 this past summer and the installation was a snap easy as punch.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bup...I know it'll cost more but put a new pump on. You'll get the latest up to date pump and alarm system. You'll be much better off. And no, you don't have to be an engineer to do the job. Instructions are included in the kit.<br /><br />Good luck!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OB Jim is correct. You would be better off to replace that almost 20 year old pump with the new style that is more robust and comes with a 1 year warranty. At the same time, check out the condition of the oil hose and clamps. If you have a smooth plastic hose that is brittle, change it out for the Bombardier oil hose and the factory clamps. Use a turkey baster to suck up a sample from the bottom of the oil tank to see if there is any sludge or water contamination.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone,<br /><br />I got the part no. off my VRO unit. It is 175231, does this apear to be the original pump? The motor was rebuilt in 99 and I didn't know if it might had been replaced then. If it is newer, would it make anymore sense to rebuild? I have been reading more posts on pre-mix and now I'm a little nervous. I just premixed two 20 gallon tanks. Did I mix it enough? Now it it sounds like I need to get this thing going and burn up that fuel before it sits too long. Replacment due to improvments made on the new pumps is easiser to swallow than not being able to rebuild one, because there is not much going on inside. Can I bolt on a new pump and be confident that the motor will have the lube it needs?<br /><br />Thanks for the insight.

Mirko

Cadet

When did VRO go from old to new and improved model. I have a '94 Johnson 115hp. Does it have the old or new?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mirko

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

They made major internal changes in '86, '92' '98, and 2002. The latest pump kit starts with part number 500***x.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any Idea how old my pump is? Pn 175231<br />Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If it has a blue-gray fuel outlet fitting, it is a '92 or later. A black fitting held by a oval shaped steel plate and 2 Torx screws is a '98 or later, and all parts are replacable. A brown outlet is an '86-'91. This does not apply to 60 degree blocks since they use a double o-ringed oulet fitting, the '98 and later ones use the oval steel retainer also.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

BUP....as with any new VRO pump, it's a good idea to run at least one tank of pre-mix through until your sure the new pump is working as advertised. Put some hash marks on the oil reservoir so you can see if the level is dropping. This will also prove the alarms are working if the pump is faulty. Bolt on is simple and pain free. Just follow the instructions.<br /><br />Good Luck and keep us posted as to any problems.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I finally got around to replacing my vro pump. I took yall's advice and purchased a brand new pump. Installation was pretty easy. I followed the directions for installation and it seemed to do what it was supposed to. I took it for a test run yesterday. The weather was is the 20's...a tad nippy. Things went well but I think Iv'e got some bad connections on my power pack. The ones that hook to each coil are pretty ugly. Does anyone know if I can buy new connectors and boots for these. I believe the power pack is ok. Thanks Again.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Connectors and boots are available from a dealer. Since they are corroded, it would be a good idea to remove each coil and clean the ground strap and the block where they mount. Also check each plug wire for corrosion and continuity. Use a dialectric grease on the contacts to prevent future corrosion problems.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's good to know I can get replacement connectors. I have polished up the coil tabs and the plug wires are new. I just lubed up all the connections with the evinrude grease that came with the plug wires. Can you put too much grease on. Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You only need a film of grease, not a big glob (that's a technical term).