Trim tabs hmmmm

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
why is it that you rarely ever see trim tabs on a bass boat. Is it due the hull layout or what?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim tabs hmmmm

I wonder why you see this post in the NON-BOATING Tech forum.<br /><br />Moving to boats.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Skeeter Boy;<br /><br />The answer is simple - based on the use of helm controlled Tabs they are percieved to slow the boat down at Top Speed. <br /><br />HOWEVER; This is prior to our introducing MOBster Tabs ("Steal The Hole"). <br /><br />These work just like Smart Tabs which a completely automatic, and react to the water pressure to regulate the tab control and position.<br /><br />The main reason that helm controlled tabs tend to slow the boat down is than in order to control the porpoising and chine walking, they need to be deployed slightly. This increases the stern lift to keep the bow from boucing up and increases the resistance to chinewalking. Very little deployment is required to accomplish this, but if too much (and sometimes that is very very little) deployment is used, the boat runs slightly bow down and slower at WOT.<br /><br />In the case of Smart Tabs and MOBster Tabs, the pressure is preset and then adjustable. Like a spring the actuators hold the tabs down at slow speed, and as the water pressure increases (as the speed increases) the plates automatically rotate up to horizontal. The pressure is adjustable, therefor you can set it to exactly what is required to eliminate the Chine walking and the porpoising. The low speed acceleration to plan is usually cut in half, and because the motor can be trimmed to the best prop bite without worry of porpoising the boat picks up speed. What most performance buffs do is increase the pitch of the prop after installing the Tabs and pick up even more top speed while maintaining a much improved hole shot.<br /><br />Check this iboats post for some results on a tracker with a 150 HP. We have done tests on Skeeters with outstanding results. No other product combination will give you these results, not even close. <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008719#000000 <br /><br />You will likely need Mobster Tabs for your Hull configuration as the sides of the transom probably slant forward. If you have any other application questions please feel free to call tech service at 800-233-0194.

LubeDude

Admiral

Hey John, hows it going, I havnt talked with you for a bit.<br /><br />Even though the boat is faster now, The best part is the stability and the ability to stay on plane at a much slower speed, Its just absolutly a new boat and they will be on every boat I have from now on.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Lube;<br /><br />Yep we should talk soon! And, you say the nicest things!!!<br /><br />Best Regards! <br /><br />John

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Lube;<br /><br />Yep we should talk soon! And, you say the nicest things!!!<br /><br />Best Regards! <br /><br />John

walleyehed

Admiral

Hey lubey....I'm worried about John...this is his second double post in a week.....maybe his keyboard needs a shot of Saber.... :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Hey lubey....I'm worried about John...this is his second double post in a week.....
Ever talk to him on the phone? Thats the way he talks also. :p :p :p

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Nice! Real Nice!<br /><br />At my age, when I repeat myself It is because I don't remember I said it in the first place. And by the way who are you guys anyway?