Livewell: General Instructions

samuelfbrown

Cadet
I bought a Cajun Bass boat from a gentlemean who had had a stroke.Unfortunately there was no manual on the boat itself. Cajun is out of business so I can't run down a handbook for the boat.The seller is a grand person but unable to talk or write since the stroke.The Cajun model is a Maverick.<br />Does anybody know where I can obtain a handbook or a copy thereof that will help this dummy use the livewells without sinking the ship!!!!!!!!!!!!

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Livewell: General Instructions

You may want to check and see if you can find a brand name/part number on the livewell and the livewell pumps etc... It could be a system made by an accessory manufacturer. Since livewells are really common in fishing boats there may be many boat manufacturers who have used the same or a very similar livewell setup.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Find someone who owns and regularly uses a large bass boat. I'd bet they can figure it out.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I know nothing about your unit but most operate a lot a like. To start with will likely have a drain plug in the bottom that you can pull to let water out. Most will also have a overflow hose just like a bathtub. The over flow and drain can use the same hose.<br /><br />You will also have a fill motor and a switch to control it. Many fill motor switches are a dual or three position switch. One position is the fill position. Put the drain plug in the bottom and turn the fill switch on until water goes out the overflow. The fill switch may have a center off postion and then an intermitent position. The intermitent position will turn the fill motor on but have a timer to turn it off. Most are adjustable so can set to 1 minute on and 5 minutes off or adjust to more on or off time. So you do not have to worry about over filling as the water will go out the overflow.<br /><br />Some live well will also have a circulation motor that circulates the water and add air. Again this motor may have a timer so you can turn on but it will run part time so it does not run your battery down.<br /><br />Some live wells only have one motor but have a valve to switch from fill to circulate.<br /><br />I do not know if this will help but might give your some thing to look for.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My live well works kind of like the one Boatist described. It will fill automatically if I leave the drain plug out. To aerate the live well I leave the plug out and turn on the pump. Which adds fresh water. Leave the plug in and the live well does not fill. This is a 1978 boat.