Bought first boat... now what?

LittleTrish

Cadet
My husband and I just bought our first boat, it's a 24' Bently pontoon, and are figuring out what accessories we need. We would like to get a cover for it, but most covers I've seen are for boats up to 8' wide. However, ours is 8.5' wide. Anyone know where we can get one that would fit a 24' x 8.5' pontoon? We'd prefer not to go with a custom made cover since we just spent a fortune on a boat, we don't want to spend a fortune on a cover. We also toyed with the idea of just getting a really big tarp (if one that size exists). Is using a tarp an okay idea? <br /><br />Also, if you have any online boat accessory stores you feel like mentioning, that would be great, since I have no idea where to shop.<br /><br />Thanks so much!<br />HusbandsOtherLove

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bought first boat... now what?

Welcome to Iboats.<br /><br />Iboats carries just about everything you could need.Just check out the main page and go from there.<br /><br />EDIT:Covers are listed under January Inventory Clearance in the middle of the page.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING DREAMS<<<<<<<

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

congrtulations on your new boat! and welcome to iboats. A tarp will work fine, if all you want to do is use it for out of water storage.I use one for a 24 ft boat and have plenty of extra tarp to tuck in.Aside from your safety equiptment, accs. will depend on what you will be doing with your boat.ibots sells most things you will need.most of the lower priced stuff should be at a walmart store at a good price. thats stuff like fenders, dock lines and basic life jackets.<br /><br /> jim

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have a nice roomy pontoon.I have a little 18 footer and it performs very well in it's pontoon perameters.The great thing about pontoons is you can do almost anything with them,<br />Set it up like your deck at home maybe even with<br />a porch glider and of course with a gas grill.Or set it up for overnighting even with a head and shower.With some custom canvas you could almost do 2 8 1/2 by 12 foot cabins.About all the pontoon lacks in normal waters is all out speed.<br /> There are a number of sites that deal with pontoon design, ownership,ideas etc.I found them using google and pontoon boat in various phrases.

bassman283m

Seaman Apprentice

Uh oh. Sounds like somebody's been to the Cedar Rapids sportshow. Congrats. Are you going to put the pontoon on MacBride or the Res?

LittleTrish

Cadet

bassmanb... you caught me. We did buy our boat at the Cedar Rapids sports show... but we had been looking at this boat for a while, and had been working with this dealer for a few weeks. We decided to buy it at the show since it was just down the street from us, which helped because if we bought it at his store, we would have needed to pay 7% tax instead of 5% (don't quite understand it, but oh well). We plan to put the boat in MacBride since we live right down the street from it. I tell ya, that 9.9hp engine saved us a bunch of money. Did you make it to the show?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As for using tarps, it often depends on the climate and what you are using it for. In some climates a breathable covering is very important - otherwise you end up with a lot of mildew and that's no good. Tarps are inexpensive but you also need to make sure you care for your investment.

NYMINUTE

Captain

If you have a Menards, or Lowes you can get a 24 X 14' Tarp around $25. I use one over a mooring cover in the winter. For other "goodies try West Marine, Boats US, or Boaters World if you can't find it on I-Boats. All have websites, and maost will mail you a catalog. Be careful, it is easy to spend a bundle real fast at any boat supply store.

Realgun

Commander

I tell ya, that 9.9hp engine saved us a bunch of money
Are you saying you bought a 24 foot pontoon with a 9.9 as in 10 Hp motor?<br /><br />I hope you made a typo.

LittleTrish

Cadet

Our lake has a 10 hp limit, so yes, it is a 9.9hp motor. But, it will work well for just putting around on the lake for fishing and/or sunning. A great deal of the boats on our lake are pontoons, and many of those are 24 feet in length. We didn't want this boat for high speeds, we wanted it to use as a place to enjoy the water with our friends, and as a vehicle for fishing.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What would happen if you put 6 or 8 10 hp engines on there? :D :D :D

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on your new boat.<br /><br />I recommend dont go spend bunch of money by miss leading internet adv site's. Talk to other boater and buy what you need and will use.<br /><br />I made that mistake, went crazy and spent bunch of money - never use half of the stuff...<br /><br />TT