engine too old?

dkeller

Recruit
we recently bought a used 1989 24' pontoon boat, and being new to boating we are not sure of many things just yet. we purchased from a dealer in hopes of getting a reliable boat and engine. the original engine was an '89 force 5o hp, when we test rode in it, it ran rough, and they said they would tune it up and get it running right, so we agreed, after getting it home we went to try it out, wouldn't run at all, after calling dealer, we found it needed coils, and they would have to order them, we were not happy at all about this and after much complaining, they agreed to swap engines, and gave us a 70 hp johnson, telling us it was about the same year, we since have found that it is actually a 1976 model, my fisrt question of many to come, is, should we be satisfied with the johnson, in spite of it being 13 tears older than the other engine?...seems to run well so far

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine too old?

I would take a '76 Johnson 70 in an even trade for a '89 Force 50 any day, DKeller.<br /><br />That Johnny is one of the great outboards ever, and with care will last as long as you need her to. Updated versions are on the market today.<br /><br />Just for verification, find the model number and post it for us so we can be sure of the year.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

dkeller

Recruit

after reading some of the comments made on force engines, i was leaning toward that opinion myself, but like i said we are new to this, so not really sure, the numbers are, model 70EL76D, serial J4527680 thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yep, it's a 1976. :)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I'd take the Johnson too, but the dealer should sweeten the deal since he misrepresented the year of the engine. He dosn't have to know that you would really rather have the Johnson. He lied to a customer and needs to pay a price for it. They know the year of engines, that's their business.

dkeller

Recruit

i agree, but i guess they did somewhat, when we agreed to buy the boat, we asked that they throw in some of the things we would need, like life jackets, and tubes for the kids to ride on, all told they threw in 4 ski vests, 2 cushions,2 tubes, and 2 tow ropes, although they did this before the engine problem, i don't think they would agree to much more, what might you suggest?

93bronco

Ensign

they misrepresented the motor. <br />i would say the actual time that has transpired is the key.

dkeller

Recruit

it has been about 2 weeks now, since they swapped the engines

dkeller

Recruit

I want to thank all of you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have many more questions as I start learning more about this, and I am looking forward to learning all I can with your help. Thanks, D