Yet another prop question

Hydraboss

Cadet
I'm looking at getting a 19p SS high five. Does anyone know whether it comes in a ported version? Does porting make that much of a difference?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Yet another prop question

The newer ones have the PVS (Performance Vent System) plugs on them. You can drill holes on the plastic plugs, or remove them. If you port too large, go to a dealer and get replacement plugs. They are about 50 cents each.<br /><br />Before this generation (with the PVS), some had hexagon shaped vent holes, but you could certainly add your own vent holes if you got an unvented one.<br /><br />I am currently running one of those props with the PVS. I don't need any venting on holeshot with that particular prop, but your performance depends on your boat and setup.<br /><br />I took a look at your other posts and I would try the prop without the foil first. Personally, I don't care for the foils, but they can work on the right application.<br /><br />Will you be able to try the prop before you buy it? Some shops will let you try a few props, even if only one at a time.

No Agenda

Cadet

A buddy has an 18' Blue Water with the VP 190 and put on the high 5 with the 19" pitch. He didn't remove any of the vent plugs and has no problems. Greatly improved the hole shot and didn't loose any top speed (maybe a mile or two). It runs smoother than the original alum prop (3 blade from Volvo), substantial improvement on the hole shot and mid range acceleration.<br /><br />I have a Reinell 204 with the VP 220 and a High 5 21"er. I wouldn't go back. They are kinda pricey, but I sure like the performance I get from it.<br /><br />Hope this helps. I'm new at this boating stuff myself and having a blast.

LubeDude

Admiral

Im running a 25 High Five on my Bass boat, and it works the best of any prop I have tried for good all around performance. I get more speed out of a 27 Turbo, but I dont like the hole shot. This High Five I have has the biggest vent holes I have ever seen, I can stick my index finger in it past the first knuckle, (I have small hands). I wondered how it would be, but it is fine the way it is, Its like a rocket out of the hole.