Help 70 hp starting problems

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1991 Javelin 353, dealer ran boat Sat in a tank ran well went to lake today to fish and boat would not start. We flooded it trying to use choke hooked to key. Came home put new plugs in. only way boat will run is to pump throttle with it out of gear starts right up idle back to @800 and when it hits nuetral it dies also wont start in nuetral. so cant run boat because wont run and go in gear????<br />appreciate all input or ideas

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help 70 hp starting problems

Jay..... Since it ran well at the dealership, but not for you, I'd suggest that you return the rig to the dealership and ask them politely to explain and demostrate the starting procedure to you.<br /><br />Your explanation of the problem would indicate that you have fouled carburetors, but if the engine ran properly at the dealership I don't see how that would be possible.<br /><br />If on the other hand, if the dealer simply ran the engine at an idle, the carburetor scenario would be most likely.

LubeDude

Admiral

only way boat will run is to pump throttle with it out of gear starts right up idle back to @800 and when it hits nuetral it dies also wont start in nuetral. <br /><br />I feel it is Probably the way you are starting it!<br /><br />If your statement is correct and you can start it when it is not in gear, (Nuetral) But when it hits (nuetral)???? :confused: <br /><br />When you get to the lake and put the boat in the water:<br /><br />Pump bulb untill hard.<br /><br />Lift throtle put way up.<br /><br />turn engine over while holding key (choke) in until engine fires, if it tries to die push choke in again!<br /><br />Push throtle back down.<br /><br />Try that:<br /><br />LubeDude

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took boat back to dealer they adjusted carbs worked on it for over an hour. They put a new fuel pump on it. It runs better I was able to run it today but does not run good at low idle Mechanic says carbs need to be rebuilt 4 hrs labor does this sound correct. Thanks Jay

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well, you say you just bought the boat and we are assuming the motor was on it. Or was it yours and they put it on for you?<br /><br />If it was on the boat and they sold it as a running package, then they should make the motor perform correctly. Unless you bought it "as is". <br /><br />If you did buy it as a running package and they will fix it for free then dont worry about how long it takes them to do the carbs. 4 hous does seem like a lot for a 3 cylinder however. I wouldnt run the boat anymore until the carbs have been cleaned. Unless youre anxious to replace the pistons.<br /><br />Good luck!

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I'm going to look at my paper work I feel since the motor is old It was as is I'll eat the three -four Hrs if it will run smoothly I am going to call an independent tech friday about the carbs

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "as-is" box is not checked on my contract so I will call the dealer again on Friday THANKS for the ADVICE Jay