Evinrude/Johnson ficht

paulgs

Cadet
I'm looking at several used boats (and motors). The engines on the baots that I'm considering are a 1998 175hp Johnson; a 1998 200hp Evinrude and a 2000 Evinrude 225hp. All are Ficht engines with supposedly low hours. I've heard and read discussion on the problems with these engines, but the info has been somewhat conflicting. Some say 1998 are ok; and the later engines are junk. Some say that 98 and 99 were junk and the later yrs are ok. Some say that the problems were confined to 150, 175 and 200 and others say all the "big" engines had problems. Can anyone give definitive info on exactly what years were junk and which engine sizes? Should I just stay away from all Johnson/Evinrudes that are 150, 175, 200 and 225 hp from 1996 through 2001? Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude/Johnson ficht

paulgs....I don't believe that the Ficht system was ever on Johnson, so that 1998 175 is probably carbed. As for the other two engines, the early Ficht engines that had most of the problems were the 150 and 175 engines, the bigger engines fared better. And if the updates were done on them then they "should" be alright. I have a 2000 150hp Ficht with 400hrs. on it and have had no problems and it is probably the best engine I have ever owned. I would try to make sure the engines were maintained properly, check the compression, and maybe have a professional check them out. Do a search on this site about the Ficht engines and you will have alot of reading material that should keep you busy and give you alot of facts on these engines. Good Luck.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

1997 and 1998 FICHTS could be either Johnson or Evinrude. The '99 and later FICHTS are only Evinrude, as the Johnson line has the traditional carbed 2-strokes and 4-stroke motors now. Evinrude originally had 4 strokes, but now they are in the Johnson family. Confusing, isn't it?

paulgs

Cadet

Since posting my message, I've read a large amount of info. The engines I'm looking at are a 1998 200 evinrude ficht and a 2000 225hp evinrude ficht. Are all of the ficht issues resolved by the 2000 model (other thean the recall for fire/explosion)? Are the ficht issues only in engines less than 200hp (ie. even in the "bad year" of 1998, is this engine ok?)<br />The only boat that I've had in the last 15 years had a mercruiser I/O and I had little or no problems for years, 10+. Only thing I did was annual professional maintenance and winterizing and replacing water pump and impeller every year. From what I'm reading, these outboards need constant care, changing plugs and decarbonizing every 100 hrs. I/O or O/B which is better? Sorry, lots of questions, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The first 200hp FICHT came out in 1999, there weren't any big block FICHTS in '98. You might post a model number so we can be sure.<br /><br />Whatever you decide, don't forget that it will be at least 5 or 6 model years old, and just like 5 or 6 year old sterndrives, they can be in good shape or poor, depending on the care they received. They should be checked out thoroughly by QUALIFIED techs.

Fly Rod

Commander

The 2000 225hp ficht were also junk. And the coast guard had a recall on the 2000 ficht because of a chance of fire. Your Evinrude shop was to fix the problem free of charge or get reembursed by Bombardier. Also Bombardier added one extra year of warranty to the 2000s.<br />I'll try to make a long story short.<br />In the year 2002 I bought a 1999 boat which had a 2000 ficht it had 200hrs. on it when the owner took it the day before I was to buy it from him. Well the engine blew with 4 days left on his warranty he had a new power head put on. I took ownership when the work was complete and trailered it from Florida to Mass. Well 25hrs later the power head blew. Bombardier after talking to the shop that does my work, a MA & PA shop had a new powerhead delivered in a week. As soon as the work was done I traded up to a 2003 225hp ficht.<br />Bombardier went above and beyond because I had no warranty. And when I joined iboats in Sept. of 2002 there was allot of controversy about Bombardier standing behind the engines of johny/rude <br />Good Luck ! ! :)

paulgs

Cadet

Thank you all for your responses but I'm more confused than ever. I'll get the serial number to make sure, as you suggest, but what you're saying is that if it's a 1998 (or earlier) evinrude 200 hp then it's not a ficht and, therefore, an ok engine. What does that mean, that it is a carbureted engine? Did evinrude/bombardier extend the 2000 ficht warranty on all 200/225? If so, when would that warranty run out? How would I find out? Thanks.

Fly Rod

Commander

I believe that it has already lasped.<br />Yes,Outboards are exspensive and allot of up keep.<br />I/O dissel is probably the best way to go. They last allot longer. May cost a little more Read an article about a month ago comparing cost and gas outboards to dissel I/Os dissels more money up front for dissels but cheaper in the long run

paulgs

Cadet

Sorry to be a pain. Can anyone tell me definitively what years and what hp's had the major "ficht" problems requiring replacement powerheads etc.? Thanks.

walleyehed

Admiral

Seahorse has shown more knowledge in that area, and I would look for his reply to that question...his recommendations would be good to follow..... ;)

Fly Rod

Commander

If you are looking at a boat and motor that is for sale just make an offer on the boat and go buy a new motor with a 6-7 year warranty.<br /><br />" I'ts better to own the first half and sell the second half "<br /><br />Personally I would never own a 2nd hand motor again.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The real problematic FICHTS were the 150-175 series from 1998-99. The smaller and larger engines did not have the same type of troubles. The FICHT Ram redesign in 2000 made the engines more reliable. If you are looking at used ones, have them checked over very carefully, as with any make outboards 5 or 6 years old, they can have a lot of hidden problems.

paulgs

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I looked at the boat and motor today. The engine is a 2000 225 hp Ram ficht. It has a model number of E225FPXSSH. From reading other posts, I asume it translates to Evinrude 225 Ficht but what does the rest say and what does that tell us about the engine? Can you tell if updates are incorporated etc.? Thanks again.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Look where the injector is bolted to the cylinder head. If the bolts have a 1/2" hex head and the steel plate is about 3/8 to 1/2" thick, that means the updated kit installed. The original injector bolts had a 3/8" hex and the metal plate was maybe 1/8" thick.

paulgs

Cadet

What does the model # E225FPXSSH tell us. Specifically, what does FP mean, and XSSH mean? If H is the "run" what does that tell us? Thanks.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

E = Evinrude<br />225 = hp<br />F = Ficht injection<br />P = Power trim<br />X = 25" leg<br />SS = 2000 model year*<br />H = model run<br /><br />* They use the acronym "INTRODUCES", where I=1, N=2, T=3 (etc). Use the next to the last 2 characters to id the model year.<br /><br />-John

paulgs

Cadet

Thanks, the "introduces" acronym is helpful info. I've read on this bd. that the "ram" model (introduced in 2000) "cured" the ficht problems. Any comment? Also, the boat and motor and trailer is a good price. I'm wondering about buying the package and then trading in the 2000 225 for a new model. How much will a dealer give in trade and what does a new 225 evinrude cost?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Read the last issue of Bass and walleye, the maz tested one of the e-techs, also said e-techs would replace all ficht engines. Does this mean that the ficht line is being dropped?