15 hp Johnson Idle issues

Wallace

Cadet
I am trying to get a 1974 15 hp back together. The last guy to use it sheared the flywheel key.. I replaced the key, but while I had it apart I took this chance to rebuild the carb. When I brought it home it wasn't running at all so I have no history to work from. Put the carb back together, set the needle valve out @ 1 1/2 turns and cranked. I can get it to run at high speeds in neutrl, but forget about idle. It just dies. Any suggestions? :confused:

D

DJ

Re: 15 hp Johnson Idle issues

Tigger2, <br /><br />Revving a 2-stroke outboard in nuetral can be misleading. They will seem perfectly smooth running on one cylinder.<br /><br />Things to do.<br /><br />1. Check the compression in both cylinders. It should be within 5-10 psi. of each other.<br /><br />2. Check spark on both cylinders.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

Wallace

Cadet
Re: 15 hp Johnson Idle issues

The sparks is good on both, but I have not checked the compression yet. I was planning on checking that as well. The guy that owned it was running it on a sailboat, but like I said. Who knows what it was running like. If you think of something else, let me know.