is 92 octane non- oxygenated gas o.k to use

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a johnson 150 that was rebuilt a year ago and i've been runnin 92 non-oxygenated gas and amsoil synthetic ,i was wondering if this is a waste of money, my carbs don't get gummed up at all

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is 92 octane non- oxygenated gas o.k to use

Yes, Red10, the premium gas is a waste of money.<br /><br />You do gain some benefit from runnning 100% synthetic oil, but in my opinion not enough to justify the cost.<br /><br />Over time, I think your best return on your dollar (including decarb and maintenance) would be gained by using 87 octane unleaded and a good TC-W3 outboard oil, like Wal Mart SuperTech (my choice), Pennzoil, Quicksilver, etc.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

D

DJ

red10,<br /><br />Ditto, what JB said.<br /><br />I also understand that the Ficht Ram oil is also very good. It is available at John/Rude dealers.

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear you guys say use 87 octane. But, my owners manual for my 1985 XP 150 Evinrude calls for 93 octane.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks fellas, i've just heard that non-oxygenated doesn't have alcohol added and the boat can sit up to a month without use so the carbs don't get gummed up, i only put on 20 hours last year

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hi Red10,<br /><br />The OMC Operation and Maintenance manual for my 1993 40hp Evinrude states:<br /><br />"Minimum Octane inside US 87"<br /><br />Note is states that as the minimum. The fuel usage continues to state:<br /><br />"The useage of premium grade fuels is specifically encouraged. Most national brand premium fuels contain degergent and dispersant ingredients advertised to reduce intake valve and fuel injector deposits. These ingredients also remove and prevent carbon buildup on pistons and rings. These ingredients can extend engine life while maintaining a high level of performance."<br /><br />Your use of 92 octane may be why your carbs don't get gummed up.<br /><br />I think for the limited use I will give my motor, the premium gas price will not be a burden for me, and I will reap the benefits as stated above. <br /><br />This is one of those things that come down to personal preference. I will be filling up two 6 gallon cans at the local Texaco station. Premium is currently $1.67, and that is probably a lot less than the folks who have to fill up at the marina and take on 100 or more gallons. <br /><br />Good luck with your Johnson!<br /><br />Mark.

Riverrattralph

Recruit

If the motor is a crossflow I would definetly run the higher octane since they are prone to detonation. If it is a looper I would not be as concerned but that is just my opinion. As for the synthetic oil, if it fits you budget I would recommend it.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I was in Mexico with my boat, I used only 93 octane gas in my 85 HP Johnson and my Ford club wagon van, with the 460 engine. The preformance and "mileage" were superb, as the Mexico gas does not contain MTBE or ethanol, which is faster burning, resulting in reduced mileage and promotes water absorption. <br /><br />Minnesota is lucky as far as their 93 octane "classic vehicle and off road gasoline" being available. It is free of MTBE and ethanol, which means engine parts and rubber items are going to enjoy a longer, trouble free life.<br /><br />In California, all we can get is gasoline which is "contaminated" with MTBE and a couple of brands with ethanol, compliments of the "Enviro Nazi's", who plague this state.<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My engine is a cross-flow and it kicks butt, for an old engine. It runs with best of em. When it gives up and go by the wayside. I will replace it with 2.6 powerhead. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Dont give up the Synthetic, Its not that much more for the performance gain and protection! Plus your not Decarbing as much or buying spark plugs all the time! I wouldnt use anything else!<br /><br />LubeDude

Trent

Captain

Sell me lube dude..Cause Im not sold and I sell it. I dont think its worth the money except in turbine engines?? Iv seen problems many times with semi's. Sludge is a big problem. In my industry. Worth the extra money in boats....No. Why? They are not used enough. Change the oil and filter regular...Keep the old oil out. My thoughs only. Works for me over 30 years.

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

Octane is not power, nor is it mileage, nor is it cleaner. Octane is a measurement used in "cracking" gas. The higher number just means, that particular gas will withstand more heat, before it pre-ignites, ahead of the spark. A functuin that will cause excessive heat, wear on parts, poor economy, and loss of power.<br />Unless you have raised the compression or modified the cooling, or are using the boat for moving heavy loads for long periods or as Riverrarralph says, the design is prone to pre-ignition, regular gas will do.<br />As for spending more to get the additives, I don;t know. That might be true for some brands. Chevron puts Techtron in both grades, plus you can buy it at WalMrt.<br />Jet fuel is just kerosine and octane is just a heat resistive measurement.

Trent

Captain

Why did you put jet fuel in this discussion.. It does not belong? Differnt in every way??

LubeDude

Admiral

Trent! <br /><br />Sell you? Well, Im a dealer also, But I will not try to sell you on a product, just a TYPE of oil!<br /><br />I use it in two and four strokes, but we are talking two strokes here! I have been using synthetic two stroke oils for 25+ years in everything from MX motorcycles , weed eaters, chain saws, blowers outboards! Every aplication has had positive rusults and have never seized a piston over those years! Nor has anyone Ive sold to! Always had very clean pistons and bores! Dont buy spark plugs by the case, and have never Decarbed anything! A lot less smoke also! Most of these devices were run on regular 2 cycle oils first, so I new how they performed on regular oil first! Every aplication showed better overall performance! Cleaner, cooler, seemingly more power! In these applications, there is not enough cost difference to worry about! I gained enough extra RPMs in an 85 HP outboard to go to the next pitch prop buy changing the lower unit oil to synthetic and going to a synthetic outboard oil! Even I was pretty amazed by that one! Some have better off season protection also! I see NO reason to use anything else!<br /><br />I dont need a bunch of scientific proof about it, I just know it works!<br /><br />TC-W3 oil is fine,(But it is just an industry Minimum standard) it will not hurt your engines, but you will get better performance all around with synthetics!<br /><br />There are things to look out for, do not use a synthetic designed for air cooled engines in water cooled aplications and vice versa ! Unless they specify that you can!<br /><br />LubeDude

BillP

Captain

For years and years I ran high octane fuel in outboards and never had a problem. Being that high octane gives a more controlled combustion I can't see how that hurts anything...but that's just based on engines that went between 1000-2000hrs before trading. I vary octane now depending on how long it will sit between use.<br /><br />Trent,<br />Your comments reflect exactly what I have experienced with outboards (approx 15-20) and also what a commercial OMC warranty mgr told me. I've posted this before but he said synthetic oil was not cost effective for the avg boater. He also said it didn't leave as good a protective film on parts during storage like pet old does. Synthetics had corrosion issues very early in their life on motors that sat for a few months in humid climes (like where I live in Florida). That has been my big problem with synthetics as I have several motors and don't run all of them frequently. Fogging is a hassle and unnecessary in my case when using an oil that leaves a protective film. <br /><br />If term storage matters to anyone, an empirical dip test to compare oils to see which stays on the motor parts longer during a 2-3 month (or whatever)layup is easy to do. Dip raw steel parts in different oils and hang them outside in the elements. Nothing scientific needed to see what clings better and prevents rust longer. I did this a few years ago and learned for myself. <br /><br />Bill P.

LubeDude

Admiral

Using a higher octain than your engine requires will cause excecive carbon buildup,! causing you to have to decarb more often! It will also empty your pockets sooner for NO reward! It will not combust eficiently because Premium fuel requires higher compresion!<br /><br />AMSOIL® Synthetic 2-Cycle Oils<br /><br />Reduce friction and wear, improve throttle response and deliver maximum power. Clean-burning formulations prevent plug fouling and carbon deposits. Deliver quick, dependable starts. Reduce smoke and emissions and won't "load up" during prolonged idling. Provide outstanding cold temperature flow. Contain special anti-rust agents for off-season storage. Product Codes: AIO, ATC<br /><br />LubeDude

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I did not want to disclose this info but due to the postings, I must let you all know this:<br /><br />My father has worked for Exxon for almost all of his career. Dad worked for various other oil companies when he was in his 20's, then got a job with Esso. He has degrees in Chemical and Mechanical Engeneering. He has handled everything from shale oil processing in Canada to Texas oil pumping to South America oil beds.<br /><br />He has spent many hours re-designing factories in various overseas countries. He has shared this info with me. (plus, I spent most of my high school years over seas in Italy and England so I saw what he did and went to the refineries).<br /><br />Also, major gas companies make gas for each other to reduce the transit/shipping cost across the USA. So Exxon makes Shell gas to their specs in the N.E and Shell makes Exxon in the South West etc, etc, etc.<br /><br />What Dad has told me is that the quality of gasoline varies with the production cycle. Gas made after the units are cleaned is much better than gas made when the units are dirty. Cleaning the units (called Cat Crakers) is a life endangering job. Men die cleaning the units. You just don't hear about it.<br /><br />So, Exxon gas is made by Shell near the Shell plants, and Shell is made by Exxon near the Exxon plants. It's just economics. They don't what you to know that.<br /><br />That is why I always buy the Premium gas for my cars. I just don't want sticky injectors or gummed up fuel filters.<br /><br />After 140K on my 1997 Mercury Mounteneer, the fuel injection is just fine. I have 80K plus on my Lincoln with no problems at all (other than needing shocks).<br /><br />So my advice is to run plus or premium in you engine.<br /><br />Just my $0.02<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

That has nothing to do with octane ratings. I'm not concerned with who makes the gas, it really doesn't matter, they all use octane ratings. If you buy gas from Shell, Exxon, Amoco or BP, they are still rated by octane. And higher octane is not going to keep injectors or filters or anything else clean, it is simply a matter of combustability. And quite simply a 2 stroke, engine does not need a higher octane fuel to run, but I don't believe it would hurt. Some people say the alcohol in these higher octane fuels will hurt rubber parts in the carbs, but sometimes when your on the water 93 octane is all you can get, so what are you gonna do.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

mmcpeck,<br /><br />The higher octane gas has cleaners that the low octane does not. By using the high octane gas, you will keep the carbon deposits to a minimum, gum and varnish buildup will not occur. When you figure the cost of gas additives that are designed to clean your engine, it is actually cheaper to buy the premium gas that already has the cleaning agents.<br /><br />That has everything to do with octane ratings.<br /><br />Mark

BillP

Captain

Here's my O2... <br />Mark42 posted good info that can be verified by credible and unbiased sources. Too low of octane is KNOWN to cause damage and high octane isn't. Another known is the outboard mfgs generally specify MINIMUM but not a maximun octane. If high octane was detrimental to the engine it would positively be in the mfgs specs. Regardless of octane, gas mfgs advertise that more detergents are in their higher octane fuels. Most auto mechanics I've asked say it does show in engine teardowns. <br /><br />People should be more concerned with too low of octane and not if 92 octane hurts anything. High octane does burn cooler and dirtier in low compression. But, this is probably one reason why gas mfgs put extra detergents in. Injector and carb cleaning are other reasons. This says the fuel delivery system is getting cleaned and so is the combustion chamber. This means less chances of lean burns and holes in pistons due to clogged jets. I suppose detergents offset or cancel claims that high octanes leave more deposits in your engine. <br /><br />In a practical sense, dirty engines and poor running are caused more by tuning than octane or oil. Sure, they make a difference but not at the level some seem think. It is more about combustion temps, mixtures and pressures. Keep the motor tuned properly and "dirty" is a miniscule issue, regardless of octane or oil type. If the consumer uses history, outboards easily go 2000+ hrs running high octane on regular petroleum type oil without decarbing. Why? Because they ran the correct spark plugs, mixtures, oil ratios, loads, combusting pressures, temps, props, rpms etc. and last but not least, followed the engine mfgs specs to the letter.<br /><br />Red10...relax and don't get worked up over octane. My only suggestion is to follow ALL of the engine mfgs specs and change to a true certified TCW-3 oil. <br /><br />Here's a no bs link showing which oils are certified and meet specs.<br /> http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/registeredoil.asp?bhcp=1 <br />Bill P. :D