New Boater. Evinrude Fichts

brico

Cadet
I apologize if this seems like old news but found what I think is the right boat for family only to start doing research to find the engines are 99" evinrude Fichts and all the problems that seem to be (Hype, Don't Know). Got serial #'s from seller and called them in to find the recall work has been done on both engines. I know alot of you are extremely knowledgable and would like any advise possible. Twin 1999 200 Fichts. Are they good reliable engines aside from this recall.<br />Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: New Boater. Evinrude Fichts

The big block motors of 1999 did not have the problems that the smaller 150-175's had. In 2000, they were improved and called the FICHT Ram series, in '01 the block was increased 10% in size and in '02 and later Bombardier took over and improved them some more.<br /><br />You are talking about 5 year old motors, no matter what kind they are, so have a QUALIFIED person check them out thoroughly. Get a printout of the operating conditions from the tech using a laptop for diagnosis and information. Make sure they are propped to turn close to 6000 rpm for best drivability and long life. Have water pumps and thermostats replaced if they haven't been done lately.

brico

Cadet

Thanks Seahorse. The engines only have 220 Hrs on them and owner says he has all the service records. Boats in Miami,FL how would I go about finding a reputable mechanic or surveyor (Aside from word of mouth or looking in the phone book)I called one of the Evinrude dealers posted on there web site and Immediate words out of the service techs mouth was computer board problems which now has put a bit of doubt in my mind on wether it is a good deal or assuming another boaters problems. Not good when the factory rep's first words are "Uh Oh Computer problems"

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Get the serial numbers and call Bombardier customer service at 847-689-7090. They are closed for the holiday week, though. Ask for a recommended dealer in your area.<br /><br />Good techs don't "guess" what is wrong over the phone without diagnosis or knowing the motors. The person with whom you talked was NOT a factory rep.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Call Superior Outboatd Service (SOS). They are factory trained and specialize in OMC. They are in SW Dade near the Falls shopping center. I have used them for years. Check Yellow Pages for phone #.