Can' t remove crank pulley

Henkelrs

Recruit
1975 Johnson 70 HP 2-stroke.<br /><br />I need to remove the crank/starter pulley to replace stator which is delivering 500V instead of the regulation 330V. (Presume no side-step on this one??)<br /><br />I have made a puller identical to the one shown in the manual to lift off the pulley (I did take off the lock nut!!) but the pulley won't budge. I have tried penetrating oil, moderate heat and a large spanner on the puller but nothing works. The manual doesn't say anything about a locking pin. It is not a morse key fitting, it just has a locating slot on the threaded portion.<br /><br />Any suggestions welcome.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can' t remove crank pulley

Are you referring to removing the flywheel?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The cranhshaft, and flywheel hub are a taper fit. The flywheel key just act's as a locater. These flywheels are installed with 105 lbs. of torgue, so it can take considerable force to remove them. Make sure you use a good grade of hold-down bolts on your puller so they don't stretch. Try using an air impact wrench, going a little at a time. When this flywheel lets go, it can give quite a bang that can be startling. It will sound like something broke.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you are referring to removing the flywheel, do a search on these forums for flywheel. There are many good posts on removing stubborn flywheels.