New Johnson

tampascott2

Recruit
I bought a boat that had been restored, and got it mainly b/c I like the hull/improvments. My first Johnson.<br /><br />It was made 6/2000, but is a year "2001." It has 200 hours (per seller). It is a 250 Ocean Pro. I assume this has a carb...not EFI? I imagine it will go through some gas.<br /><br />What is the track record for these motors? Reliability? Have the 2001 oil pumps been reliable, or should I mix?<br /><br />Did the Bombardier take over effect that years crop?<br />Sorry for all the questions, but I have always had mercs and yamahas, and know nothing about this engine.<br /><br />Should I add anything to fuel to reduce carbon?<br /><br />My New Outboard Photo <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Scott

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New Johnson

That setup looks pretty nice in that picture. I have twin 1999 Johnson 200's and have had no big problems with them in about 500 hours,just one timer base and that's really rare and it wasn't that big of a deal, they are strong and I love them, they do like to drink fuel, but that's O.K.. I think you will be happy with that engine. Good Luck.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Johnson

If it's a 2001, look at the model number, should be something to the effect of J250VXSIF, with "SI" being the '01 identifier. "SS would be 2000.<br /><br />Bombardier took over well after this engine was built and began new production in 2001, I believe in September.<br /><br />For carbon prevention, use the highest quality oil you can afford. The JohnnyRude XD-30 is good, the semi-synthetic XD-50 is even better. Personally, I've had excellent results with their synthetic oil, Evinrude Bio-Degradeable (now called XD-100). A good fuel additive would be Carbon Guard, there are other good ones too, sometimes it just involves a little shopping around...<br /><br />-John