Help for the diagnostically challenged

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1995 Evinrude 48 Special. Runs fine high end, but at idle is rough. I know when the carbs were rebuilt a few months ago, the owner did not use a tach to monitor the rpms as my Clymer manual advises. The manual recommends 1775-1825 rpms in gear with boat floating freely. It was adjusted on a garden hose. <br /><br />I called a local Evinrude dealer and asked what kind of diagnostic tach to buy for an outboard.... he didn't know and admitted they don't even use one when adjusting carbs. <br /><br />I called Bombardier today and they advised a tach was necessary for correct adjustments. <br /><br />My question is where does one procure such a tool that will work on a 2 cycle 2 cylinder outboard? I have looked many places but don't really know what type of tach to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Stumpknocker

Re: Help for the diagnostically challenged

I believe that should be 775-825 rpms. Sorry.

G DANE

Commander

Hi Gil009<br /><br />If you need it only for maintenance purpose, I would but a small type called Tiny Tach. You can find it easily on-line. Its a cheap accurate tach. If you go for a tach to fit in the boats dash ( the tiny can too ) I would choose an OMC Tach, Teleflex or Faria. I think the OMC is the cheapest.

Stumpknocker

Thanks for the info on Tiny Tachs. I have their info and phone number. Am I correct to assume that digital tachs are vastly more accurate than the older analog models? They (Tiny Tachs) give no + or - accuracies.... but the Clymer manual says to shoot for a tach that registers 25 rpms or less. I think they are referring to the old analog models there. I would think the digitals are much closer than that... anybody know?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The Tiny Tach works great. I use them on on the water testing, setting idle speeds, and propping out boats because they are more accurate than analog gauges. I've checked mine with several other digital test tachs and they all read the same. You can order from:<br /><br /> http://tinytach.com/tinytach.html <br /><br />www.precisionmfgsales.com

rolmops

Vice Admiral

When will Iboats start selling tiny techs??

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I just bought a portable Tach. from Stevens Experimental, In Waukegan, Ill. The name of it is SmarTach. What is different about it, it has pull-out antenna so there are no wires to hook up. You can set it for 1 - 12 cylinders, 2 or 4 cylcles. There is a hook on the end of the antenna that you hook over the plug lead to read peek voltage. This is handy for finding a weak firing cylinder. I have'nt had it long enough to really wring it out, but so far I like it. Is anyone else on this board using one, if so tell me what you have found? You can use it on any engine, from a lawn mower to a car.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That Smart Tach is a great piece of equipment and I use one also. However it is around $149 verses $49 for the Tiny Tach. They both have the same accuracy.<br /><br />I use the Tiny Tach while out in a boat as it can be read while running along. The Smart Tach is used mostly in the test tank or on a flusher for convenience.