OMC Electric Start Conversion

SoulWinner

Commander
Hi Everybody :) <br /><br />I got my dad an electric start conversion for his 1983 Johnson 35. He had a heart attack (Doing WAY better now, Thank you Jesus :) !!)and can't pull start the motor anymore (although it ALWAYS starts on the second pull ;) )<br /><br />Anyhoo, the instructions that come with kit are not very good. If you get the kit, the start button has two wires. The yellow and with red stripe wire gores to the sylenoid(sp?) and the red wire which is not mentioned in the instructions goes to the same post on top of the sylenoid as the hot from the battery. The black wire in the kit goes from the rear bottom post on the syleniod to the neutral safety switch, and don't forget the ground strap on the safety switch.<br /><br />It's a great kit and I hope dad likes it. Next I'm gonna put the generator kit on it so the motor will charge the battery.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Electric Start Conversion

SoulWinner.... Quoting a portion of your post, you say:<br /><br />"the start button has two wires. The yellow and with red stripe wire goes to the solenoid, and the red wire which is not mentioned in the instructions goes to the same post on top of the solenoid as the hot from the battery. The black wire in the kit goes from the rear bottom post on the soleniod to the neutral safety switch, and don't forget the ground strap on the safety switch."<br /><br />However, you don't say what you want to know about this. I'll assume you want to know exactly where the above wires go? If so......<br /><br />The RED wire from the starter button would connect to the large terminal of the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable is connected. The YELLOW/RED striped wire would go to one of the small (3/8" nut) terminals of the solenoid.<br /><br />A BLACK wire would be connected to the other small 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid with the other end of that black wire being connected to the safety switch push on terminal. Normally the safety switch is self grounding, and if so, it will not require any other wire running from it to ground.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: OMC Electric Start Conversion

Wow Joe, when you put it like that it makes perfect sense ;) That is what I was trying to say, but I didn't do a great job of it :rolleyes: I had fun installing the kit, I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else who gets one that the instructions don't identify the wires by color, and don't mention th red wire at all?!?! :confused: Thanks for the reply, now anyone searching this forum for info on this installation will know how it is done :)