Evinrude 33hp 1965

Bulkster

Cadet
I got an evinrude 33 hp from 65. its one of the first 33hp that was made. The modell nr: 33502 B and the serial nr is 1865 B. I started the engine today. it have new sparkplugs, new w pump impeller and i have cleaned the carburator. in ran god att low revs but when a gaved it full throttle the engine stopped running. I tried to start it again but this time it just started for a few seconds and then died. Any reasons why i behave like this??? I also would like som info about the engine.<br />Mvh Kim

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 33hp 1965

Sounds like it is flooding. Probably needs a carb rebuild. But start with the basics. Pull the plugs and check spark, blue spark not yellow. Check compression. Any other symptoms (pulls harder than before when starting, any funny noises when it died after full throttle). Let us know.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep its time to look at all the basic subsystems. do you have good spark. it should be blue and jump at least 1/4 inch. do you have adequate compression? do you have a good fuel pump and clean fresh fuel? if you rev this motor much with no load the vacum cut out switch on the side of the block will grab you :) .do not disable this switch or you may find out what is ment by engine runaway. it aint pretty or funny when your at the tiller :) . this was a good motor that other than coils and points failed sometimes gave very few problems. if it shakes too much it can shear the flywheel key and put the engine out of time<br /> good luck and keep posting

Bulkster

Cadet

Before i tried to start the engine i adjust the ignition. I have god blue spark on the plugs <br />(NKG B6 HS). One thingis that the upper sparkplug gets wery black after just a few seconds.the lower is normal color. The engine has not been used for abaut 8 years when i bought it. the owner i bougt i of said that it worked really god wen he stopped using it. First i started and ran for about 2minutes. Then i started it again and it ran for just a few seconds. then it wont start. the engin smokes alot when it runs.. if i clean the sparkplugs the engine run again for some second.. i have new gas whit outboard 2way oil. i cant understand why the color on the plug is not the same....

Bulkster

Cadet

The first time i tried to start it the Flywheel key brooke.. but i made a new key in tool steel. I did not rev the engine so high maybe 3000-4000rev not higher. it died but it not like it overheated. <br />/Kim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Run a compression test. See if the upper cylinder is alot less than the lower. If OK, Get yourself some Champion J4C plugs and gap them at .040. Double check the spark on the cylinder that is fouling. Are you running a 50:1 oil/fuel ratio? Post results...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You would buy a carb kit, which comes with new needle valve and spring for the float, gaskets, and other parts that normally wear out over the years. This is espicially important on an engine that has sat for some time. Gaskets dry out, fuel gums up the jets in the carb, Needle vavles stick, all causing poor running conditions. A good internal cleaning of the carb is nessesary when installing the kit. But do check the compression first before going any further!<br /><br /> Carb Kit

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> do not I REPEAT do not rev the engine that high with no load. the max on that engine is only about 46 or 4800 give or take. and reving that high with no load can swallow reeds and cause needle bearings to washboard the crankpin. dissasemle and clean the carb. replace the needle/seat. replace the needle packing for high and low speed adjustment needles as applicable. make sure you do not forget to place the round doughnut gasket on the emulsion tube at the botom in the carb center.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> also keep an eye on the gear case. the shift shaft seals like to leak on that motor.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the compression. After sitting for so long the upper rings may have become stuck (time to de-carb the engine) and the piston will not have any way to transferr heat so it will expand and sieze. If compression checks out time for a carb rebuild (new gaskets, float, needle, seat). When rebuilding use a quality carb cleaner and make sure every passage is clean.<br /><br />Upper plug is fouling (black) from excessive gas or low compression.

Bulkster

Cadet

Ok i will test the compression. Do you have any basic adjustment on upper and lower nedle on the carburator. so i have some adjustment to start with. i think its the carburator adjustment that makes the engine smoke like hell and makes the plugs totally black the upper plug gets so black that i thing it stops sparking. <br />i have 4% oil i the gas.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try 2 full turns out from a lightly seated position and go from there.

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's 3/4 of a single turn for the lower (high speed) adjustment. Two turns is for the upper (low speed) adjustment.<br />2% oil to gas (50:1) is correct for that engine, but running 4% will not hurt.<br />I think rodbolt's on the right track here. I have had a few Johnson/Evinrude engines from this age with exactly the same problem. It was caused by cracked ignition coils. As you throttle up, the voltage on the secondary of the coils increases causing an arc through the crack rather than the sparkplug. This is encouraged by high rpm turbulance in the cylinder causing a larger sparkplug firing voltage.<br />The only other thing I can think of is a clogged or misadjusted main jet (high speed adjustment).<br /><br />Good luck!

Bulkster

Cadet

i cleaned the sparkplugs and adjusted the carburator. The engine ran fine. so i think it was the problem. The leak on the upper cylinder was made by the sparkplug so i putted som logitec locktite there before i putted in the sparkplug. Thanks for all the help i hope it will run for a while. But we have winter with snow and ice now so a have to waith to the summer before i can try yhe engine on the boat..<br />Mvh KIM

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello<br />When you state that the leak in the upper cylinder was made by a spark plug.I presume that the threads on the top cylinder are stripped.<br />If so, a bit of locktite will do you no good.<br />While it is winter, you should take off the cylinder head, rethread the sparkplug hole and insert a helicoil.This will solve your problem for good.<br />You can just go to google, see what a helicoil looks like and figure out the swedish name that way.<br />Good luck and happy holydays.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Since you've already sheared a flywheel key, the flywheel and crankshaft tapers may be damaged, check them. Making sure the tapers are okay, the flywheel nut must be torqued to exactly 105 foot pounds, otherwise the key will shear again.<br /><br />Use Champion J4J or J6J s/plugs with the gap set to .030 . The spark (if proper) will jump a 1/4" gap with the s/plugs removed. Rig up some kind of tester whereas you can set that 1/4" gap.<br /><br />The OMC part number for the carburetor kit is 439074 which would still be available at any Evinrude or Johnson dealership. It may also be available at NAPA or other stores.<br /><br />When a engine sits for any length of time such as yours has, the carburetor will foul and require cleaning etc.<br /><br />(Carburetor Float Setting)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway. Good luck.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You stated in a new post<br /><br />"The guy i bought the engine of had cleaned the carburator mm before he put the engine in a garage for 8 years so it was no problem there. i hawe one question abaut the fuel pump. How does it work? should i be 1 or 2 fuel lines from the gas tank i have just one. When i started the engine i had to use the pump bulb on the gasline to pump gas for the engine. if i stopped the engine died after 1 minute..."<br /><br />I read your new entry but am answering here via the original entry in order to keep the topic in line.<br /><br />There should be only one line leading from the fuel tank to the engine. Your info about the fuel pump sounds like you have either a fuel leak somewhere that would cause the fuel pump to draw air or the fuel pump is faulty.<br /><br />Simply because the previous owner cleaned the carburetor eight (8) years ago does not make it impossible for that carb to have problems. It would be best to double check the carb to eliminate that possibility.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Evinrude 33hp <br />First Mate <br />Member # 35855 <br /><br /> posted December 15, 2003 09:07 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />The guy i bought the engine of had cleaned the carburator mm before he put the engine in a garage for 8 years so it was no problem there. <br />i hawe one question abaut the fuel pump. How does it work? should i be 1 or 2 fuel lines from the gas tank i have just one. When i started the engine i had to use the pump bulb on the gasline to pump gas for the engine. if i stopped the engine died after 1 minute...