Replace water pump impeller only or install complete water pump Kit?

I have a '72 Evinrude 2hp outboard motor:<br />The water pump impeller needs replacing. Before I buy the part, how do I determine if the pump needs a complete kit or if just the impeller will do?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace water pump impeller only or install complete water pump Kit?

It depends on how much you like doing it. If you want to do it only once, buy the complete kit. If you want the pratice, change one piece at a time. Personaly, I would put the whole kit in. To me its not worth it not to.<br /><br />Good luck!

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depends on how long you've had that water pump<br /> in the engine. If you haven't serviced the engine<br />(changed impeller on scheduled basis)<br />on a regular basis I'd replace the whole unit as a<br /> safeguard.<br />Not an expensive ordeal.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Am I wrong , or is the main pump body cast right into the gear case. I believe the pump kit assembly is just a pump cap, and impellor. If badly worn, you replace the gearcase.

Thank you for the input. I think I will go ahead and put a kit in. Thanks.

walleyehed

Admiral

R.Johnson, the waterpump in question is a complete component in itself. The holes for the bolts are the only part of the lowerunit casting. The cup also has a changeble SS liner and bottom plate. As Dhadley mentioned, it's a waste of time if you do not install the complete Kit.......... :)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have never had the bottom end of one of these little engines apart. I was going by the photo in the service manual. I always replace the entire pump assembly on any engine.

walleyehed

Admiral

To my knowledge, this is the same in the 300+HP V-8 as well.... :)

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just did a pump replacement--just for safety--on a 1988 V6 Seadrive.<br /><br />The price for the parts (a kit) for the Seadrive (read: big engine) from BoatUS was $55. That included the impeller, all seals, the housing, the works.<br /><br />The impeller alone, me thinks, is $30-$35. <br /><br />I would say that the extra $20 buys you piece of mind, and perhaps a year or two of extra service. In my mind, this was an easy decision. My time was very much worth the tiny premium.<br /><br />Go for the full pump rebuild.<br /><br />Ken

Thanks for all your good advice. Looks like I will be buying a kit.