Main Bearing Dowel pin alignment on 1977 85 hp V4

HBF4

Seaman Apprentice
I'm putting the crankshaft back in my engine, but wasn't sure if the dowel pin was aligned with the main bearing. I know the bearing is not supposed to rotate, but is the dowel pin a tight fit, or is there a little play? Any ideas would be appreciated.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Main Bearing Dowel pin alignment on 1977 85 hp V4

It is a snug fit, and will take some playing around to get it seated. On the center main you can tell if it is seated by trying to rock the crank. With the bearings off the crank, put them in there seats, and mark the sides with a magic marker. This will help with alignment.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Here's how I do it.<br /><br />Set the crank with the top and botom bearings in the block. Remove the wire retainer from the center bearing assembly. The bearing will now be in four pieces. Place the sleeve with the hole for dowell pin in the block with the pin in the hole. Press the sleeve firmly in place. Now, roll the split bearing into place between the sleeve and the crankshaft. It'll fit. Move it all the way through so that the ends of the bearing are flush with the block. Now, set the other half bearing in place on the crankshaft, put the other half sleeve on top of the bearing and thread the wire retainer through the groove in the bottom and top retainer and you're finished. No fumbling around trying to hit the hole with the dowell pin. I always put the retainer wire back in but I really don't think it's necessary. I think it's there just to keep the bearing together during assembly.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No matter how you do it, once you think you have the center main in place start the bolts in the upper main housing and the lower seal plate into the block half. If the center main is in place all the bolts (2 upper and 4 lower) will all start easily by hand.<br /><br />Good luck!