johnson 60hp vro

oilman321

Cadet
johnson 60hp vro model no BJ60ELCCA seriel no B7667268....Engine wont get upto full revs and once stopped difficult to restart when engine was tilted and tried to start had fuel comming out of the air intake and carb cover at front of engine checked plugs but didnt seem to be excessivly wet cleaned and replaced engine started but still no high revs same problem when engine stopped have checked fuel and oil pump diaphrams and all ok fuel and oil priming bulbs solid and fuel filter clean..please help<br />have just tried a rope pull start and started no problem but wont start with the key although the engine turns over fine just not fireing does this suggest a coil problem of some sort

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 60hp vro

Oilman..... On your 1988 60hp Johnson, always start with the basic trouble shooting procedure to avoid expensive components replacement errors.<br /><br />Note that a engine in perfect condition will not start properly in a tilted position.<br /><br />First, check the fuel to make sure it's not contaminated (water usually).<br /><br />Second, check the compression which should be in the 100+ psi range and even on all cylinders.<br /><br />Third, with the s/plugs removed, rig up a spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap. The spark should jump that gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real heavy thick snapping spark, not a thin weak one.<br /><br />If you can't rig up a tester, use a proper size philips screwdriver which will fit inside of the wire terminal that's within the rubber s/plug boot, than hold the shank of the screwdriver the approximate 7/16" gap away from the block... NOT 1/8" or 1/4"!<br /><br />If you have a weak, erratic, or non existent spark, disconnect the main RED electrical plug at the engine, then crank the engine by using a small jumper wire from the battery terminal of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut on the solenoid that energizes the electric starter (not the 3/8" ground nut).<br /><br />If you now have the proper spark, in all likelihood the ignition switch is faulty and will require replacing.<br /><br />If the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tests mentioned above check out fine, in all probabilty the carburetors are fouled. If so, the cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them.<br /><br />Also..... Although this doesn't appear to be your problem (WITH THE ENGINE NOT RUNNING), check the timer base under the flywheel (spark advance) to make sure that it moves smoothly without sticking at any point throughout its range from idle to the full spark advance point (up against the rubber stop of the full advance stop screw). Spin the prop in order to shift into forward gear properly, then check the timer base as mentioned. Keep us informed.

oilman321

Cadet

Thanks for the prompt reply ..I think I should have used punctuation in my question..sorry...I didnt mean I had tried to start it tilted...Its just when it was tilted fuel leaked out...also I have found a wire off and when reconnected got a constant alarm as soon as key was turned.the wire is brown..have also remembered what i did differently b4 the problems started...normally when I get home I lower the engine then reattach the fuel tank start the engine and flush with fresh water...the last time I didnt attach the tank and started and flushed the engine in the tillted possition..could this have caused my current problems...Im starting to feel a bit of an idiot now....thanks again for the help

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

oilman.....Try tapping on your carbs, both sides, with something, maybe one of your floats is stuck and causing a carb to flood. When you ran the motor tilted without a fuel line you were running the fuel out of the bowls maybe this caused float to get stuck. If that works I would pull the carbs and rebuild them, it may be time. If it doesn't work well then Joe has some good advice and he's the master. Good Luck.

oilman321

Cadet

Thanks again for the advice...learning all the time...I have now stripped cleaned and replaced the carbs rplaced the fuel line and bulb put the correct plugs in and everything seems to be ok now..will be out in the water on sunday so ill know for sure then..will keep you posted..may I just take this opportunity to say what a first class site this is..certainly saved me some money...very much appreciated ..cheers Harry

oilman321

Cadet

Went out today and the engine never missed a beat so what can I say except thanks for the advice.The beers on me ...Harry