86 Evinrude 15hp can I run 100/1???

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did a full tune up a few months ago. Carb,water pump,lower unit,fuel pump,etc etc, the motor ran good before I did the decarb. Now I can't get the idle air fuel set right. It idles fine but is hard to start and it sputters and stalls when I put it in gear. I took it to the lake the other day and tried to set the idle air fuel knob for over an hour. Sometime I have to put it in gear and pull the handle and it starts fine, runs great at 1/4 to WOT but when I back off and get to trolling speed, it dies out. Can I run 100/1 in this motor? I think it will be less finicky. Also, I have replaced the line, bulb and tank 3 times and still cant get the bulb to get hard while pumping it before starting. I pumped it for 5 min the other day and it never stopped pumping. Don't have the funds to take it in so i'm stuck doin this job myself....Any suggestions??????

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 86 Evinrude 15hp can I run 100/1???

Sounds like you still have a fuel delivery problem. If you can't get the bulb hard before starting, you have and air leak somewhere and it will not run well until you find it. I went through the same thing with my 9.9. Try tracing the line with a mechanics stethoscope while you squeeze the bulb.<br /><br />As for running 100:1, I wouldn't. At speed it will be too lean. One trick that is used for trolling that I have seen on this forum is to keep a second smaller tank on board with a lean mixture, up to 100:1 to use for trolling only.<br /><br />Follow the link for some good info on 9.9's which would be applicable to your 15.<br /><br /> http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Fishing Info/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Warren.... DO NOT run that engine (or any other OMC outboard) with a 100/1 mixture. It simply doesn't work out!<br /><br />Disconnect the fuel hose from the engine, then pump the fuel primer bulb. It should get hard within a few squeezes. You may need to pust in the ball of the connector (engine end) to bleed any air out first. That will prove the fuel tank and primer bulb are okay.<br /><br />If the above checks out okay and you still can pump the bulb for five minutes, you have either a flooding carburetor, faulty fuel pump diaphram, or a broken fuel hose somewhere on the engine. At any rate, in that length of time you should be able to see and smell gas where it shouldn't be.<br /><br />Your spark plugs should be Champion plugs with the gap set to .040 . Make sure you have compression and the proper strong spark.<br /><br />The slow speed carburetor adjustment procedure follows.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br /><br />Mike..... Didn't mean to clash with you. Typing at the same time.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I have been through 3 fuel tanks with new fittings 3 line sets and 4 primer bulbs. just can't figure out where the air is getting into the line. I unplugged the line from the motor and it still dosen't tighten up the bulb.....Hmmmmmmm....I guess i'll try another tank today....wish me luck and Happy Thanksgiving.....Warren

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Warren, the fitting to the motor, is it a genuine omc fitting or is it an attwood or another off brand. There can be an air leak where the fitting goes on to the motor and it almost allways is the wrong connector. nevjb

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

J.B. thats a dam fine point. It is an Atwood. And all 3 have been Atwoods. I'll go and get an OMC fuel line tomorrow....I just finished cutting all the connections and installing SS hose clamps, with the same results...Thanks for that.......Warren

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a shot in the dark here, when you pump the bulb do you have it tilted so the arrow indicating direction of fuel flow is pointing up a bit?

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, the arrow is definitely pointing the right way. I got so desperite that I took the bulb off and put it on backwards just to see if they screwed up at the factory...and yes I did get sprayed in the face with 50-1........

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Warren, also get a genuine omc squeeze bulb . The new improved models have a yellow or red ring on it. The Attwood check valves are defective. nevjb

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The culpert often is the small o rings in the connectors at the ends of the fuel lines.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, i'm on line #5 and fitting #4 now. I'm goin fishin tomorrow to see how it runs. Hey Joe, you said Champion plugs set to .040, the seloc manual says .030?? I purchased new plugs again today and i'm not sure what to gap it at...By the way, the fuel line I purchased this time is a tempo, hope its better than the Atwood. The dealers were all closed today and had to get something. Probably going to end up being another $30 down the drain but we'll see......

Paul Moir

Admiral

Warren - I belive the .040 gap was later recinded by OMC and changed to .030. I would hate to contradict Joe Reeves though - he probably has a really good reason for the .040. I suspect you'd get a better idle with that gap...

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking the same thing Paul. Joe is hardcore.....040 it is. afraid to go against Joes advice....My boat might sink..lol..

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ha! - Who do you trust, OMC and Seloc or Joe? Lemmi think for a second... :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The existing ignition system which is incorporated on the OMC outboards first came into existence in 1973. The appearance of the components has changed but the system has not.<br /><br />From 1973 to some point in the late 1980's or early 1990's (give or take slightly), OMC recommended that the spark plugs gap be set to .040 . This worked out fine through out the entire throttle setting.<br /><br />In the late 1980's or early 1990's (whatever), I have noticed that various manuals, including the OMC manual, that the suggested s/plug gap be set to .030 for some reason. I can only assume that it pertained to a lowering of compression, poor quality of gasoline, piston design, something of that nature.<br /><br />However, I've found that setting the gap to .030 when the plug is used in the older engines, 1973 to approximately 1989, a problem was encountered at low rpms, hence I find it best to stick with the .040 gap.<br /><br />The later model engines which have the .030 gap recommended..... of course I would recommend that gap also... as an initial setting. However, I've encountered a few of those engines that had idle problems when all else was as it should be and changing the gap to .040 cured that problem. Makes one wonder!