30 HP evirude heat problem

rswanson74

Recruit
I have a 30HP evinrude Model E30ELERM serial G-03619729. When running the motor in gear at idle(slow trolling) It really heated up and actually blew the 20 amp fuse. I could feel the excessive heat. The wiring harness actually started to melt to the rear of the block. I replaced the fuse and it ran really rough so I shut it off. Water was coming out of my flow indicator and I took the impeller out for inspection, but it looked to be in good condition. Where should I go from here?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 30 HP evirude heat problem

Pull the lower unit and take the cover off of the thermostat housing. Backflush the motor through the water pickup tube. Put in new tstats & waterpump. Check the compression to see if you blew the head gasket or did other internal damage. Also check the overheat sensor if you have one.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Bout time for you to get a manual for your motor. See the bottom of the page. Most libraries have them in the Reference Section. It will give you the blow by blow + pictures & diagrams. I prefer the factory shop & parts manuals.

rswanson74

Recruit

How can I ensure I get an actual OMC manual. I will go to the library and check it out, but I would like to purchase one for my motor. I looked on E-bay, but it looked like it was written by an author, not OMC. Any clue where I could get such a manual would be great.

G DANE

Commander

I bought the Clymer Manual, available from this site, I think its great, lots of photos and specific info. I have a 1988 40 HP among others. Manual covers it fine.

G DANE

Commander

If your motor is the two cylinder type ( I also have a 25 and 35 HP late eighties, the thermostat is lokated behind the little "bubble" in top of the water jacket on cylinder head. You have to remove the waterjacket. Gasket is not reuseable. Thermostat is held by a spring. As it takes some to get it out, I would replace it, not just check it. If someone else had it apart, be sure it is correctly inserted. Get a new grommet too. As Solittle says, there can be a fragment of an old impeller somewhere in system, most likely in exhaust jacket just before thermostat, restricting flow. It will come out if you backflush from thermostat housing, but you must have lower unit off, or you will get no flow through water pump. When did you last replace pump impeller ?

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Removing the water jacket is a hard job because<br />of the gasket.<br />Removing it it came only in in thousand little pieces.<br />You'd better take off the powerhead first, it makes all much easier.<br />Then you can also check the head gasket o.k..<br />If it looks good, you can reuse it.<br />It won't be pressed at all with mounting the head.<br />Carefully screw the water jacket bolts.<br />Don't screw them too heavy, the jacket isn't too solid.<br />In any case you should replace the thermostat behind the little dome and clean the thermostat housing.<br />Check the overheat switch in the Head as well.<br />To do this you should put the head in hot water of more then 82 °Celsius for some time.<br />Exceeding this level the switch must connect its powerpack input through to ground.<br />On an Ohm-meter (one side connected to ground)you must read a value near zero.<br />It won't switch until the complete powerhead has reached 82 °C. <br />Don't be too unpatient, it takes some time.<br />If it doesn't switch with temperatures of much higher than 82 your engine won't get into the SLOW-mode when overheated.<br />Then you must replace the switch as well.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Nordy

G DANE

Commander

I dont think it is hard to remove water jacket and if needed even cylinderhead, without removing powerhead from motor. I would never do so.

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I misused the english word power head.<br />What I meant is clinder head.<br />You should remove the cylinder head first, before removing the water jacket.<br />So it's much easier to remove the gasket of the water jacket.<br /><br />Nordy

rswanson74

Recruit

Thanks guys. I have a OMC manual for my engine on order and I think I will wait to tear into my powerhead until then. You have given me many things to check out and as soon as the manual arrives I shall get busy. May all your motors run cooler than mine!