johnson 14 hp questions -year ?

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
i just got a johnson 14hp i need to know the year. here is the # off the tag <br />HJ14RSLF<br />0211705<br /><br />its a long shaft but looks like it has a center section that can be taking out its about 6 inches tall just above where the lower end splits. can i take that out and make it a short shaft ? i think i have seen these kits on ebay but i have never seen 1 on a motor. <br />thanks any help will help<br />also are they good motors ?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 14 hp questions -year ?

That's a 1985 Model ya got there. You can make it a short shaft if you can find a; shift shaft, water tube(Might be able to cut that to fit) and of course, the driveshaft. Finding that stuff is anyones guess. Or get this for $90.00 and be done with it!<br /><br /> web page

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your model number does not compute, Wayne.<br /><br />Recheck it. What you read as an L could be an I.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Got it from here JB. One of those weird ones!<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />14RSF-14RSLF 14 1985

wayne h

i am going to drop the lower unit tomorrow and see what i need i really dont wanna jack plate the boat.i have a 9 1/2 in it now that runds great i just thought the extra power would be nice. i will let you know what i find when i drop the lower unit the kits i seen had extencans for the water shift and drive shaft i hope this is the case on this 1. if not i guess i will just clean her up and let her go to some 1 that could use it. thanks for the help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Wouldn't you have to "Shorten" everything, not elongate it? So an extention for the drive shaft and shift shaft seems wrong. Or am I reading this wrong?? You may also get lucky on E-Bay and fine a junker that has the parts you need. The link I gave you is not truly a Jack Plate, but an adapter. Won't hurt a thing and would work fine.

wayne h

can any 1 help me out with the right plugs and gap for the motor it has champs in it right now but i dont think they are the right 1ns

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

For the 1985 14 HP, they are Champion QL77JC4. Gap is .030<br /><br />Look it up here if you want. It's a commercial Motor.<br /><br /> web page

wayne h

thanks for the help. i did not get the lower end off yet it has a stud with a nut on the top i got the nut off but the stud seems stuck in the lower unit i tryed to heat it with no luck so now its soaking in PB BLASTER. i am having a hard time finding a shop manual for the engine too i have a CLYMER manual but they cover too many engines to really help me. well i am in to rush its a very clean motor i just hope i can use it on my boat ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the trim tab and bolt?? Must come out to drop LU.

wayne h

the trim tab is none removable. i can move the lower unit side to side alittle and it seems that its pivoting on the stud. but its stuck in there pretty good i will keep spraying her up and see if i can free her .the stud is in the lower unit and thought the center section with a nut at the top front of the midsection its just an ear the the stud goes though and there is a nut at the top.i also took the 4 bolts out of the lower unit and 4 more out of the extenchan peice. i can get the 6 inch peice to move around in there but cant drop the lower unit because of that stud

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might want to re-post "Help with removing stuck lower unit" and explain the problem. You will get quicker answers that way. Normally, the lower unit will drop down enough(1/2")or so, to see the shift rod connector screw. You would need to remove this screw in order for the LU to drop down and come off. Then again, sometimes they are just stuck on their and need a little gentle persuasion in order to get it separated. That's why I recommend that you start the new post, so that others more familiar with your motor can help.