2hp Evinrude

Anglin

Recruit
This engine is next to new but will not run for more than 20 mins. then it stalls. No,I thought the water pump was the problem too as it might be overheating ... replaced it ...problem still there. Help please!!!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 2hp Evinrude

It's probably not getting fuel or ignition. Have you tried choking it when it starts to stop? If so, what happened?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Evinrude Troubles.

Anglin

Recruit

Yes, Ihave choked it and tried to increse the mixture but it just flat quits

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel vent open? Are you sure? (This rates somewhere near "Is it plugged in?" but it happens a lot.)

Anglin

Recruit

Yes, I have had the ENTIRE fuel system apart and after I went through it I still had the same problem ... ran great for 20 mins. then seemed to starve or choke itself and quit (ie a long paddle home), so I had the marine mech go over it they checked over the whole system, retuned it, test ran it for an hour they said, worked great ..... I put it on the boat, tied to the dock and it started - ran it at all speeds - and it still does the same thing for me hence my frustration!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the coil or other ignition part is failng when it gets hot. See if you can simulate this while running it in a barrel or on muffs and point a hair drier at the suspect parts. If it dies, you've found the defective part. The shop probably never ran it more than 20 minutes!

G DANE

Commander

20 min is exactly the time it would take to build ud a vacuum in your fuel tank if the vent screw isnt loosened, or somehow out of order. If this has a portable tank, try another tank, or run it with cap of tank. If it has i built in tank, are You sure you remember to open the fuel valve ?