1989 evinrude 225 flywheel

abramski1

Recruit
I recently purchased this motor. I tested the motor before purchase. Compression was good in all cylinders and they all fired. I noticed the stator was "dripping" and decided to take to local mechanic to replace. When we pulled the flywheel, some of the magnets fell out. He had another flywheel and put it on after replacing the stator.The motor was back-firing. The flywheel was counter-rotating. He could not find all of my magnets so he removed them from the counter rotating flywheel and glued them into my old flywheel (after cleaning it). Aftder putting this all back together the "rebuilt" flywheel will produce a spark in only one cylinder. I was told that the "outer" magnets are for charging and the "inner" magnet is for the spark. I know what a new flywheel cost. I want to be sure of the problem first. I think it has to do with the way the magnets are placed in the flywheel.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 evinrude 225 flywheel

Might be a good idea to find a more knowledgable mechanic. Outside flywheel magnets generate current for the battery charging system, the ignition system computer power, and charge the capacitor for the ignition system. The inner magnet ring takes the place of ignition points and "tells" the ignition when to fire a cyinder in conjunction with the timer base sensors.<br /><br />Troubleshooting the ignition system is easy for a trained tech or someone following the factory service manual step by step. A flywheel is not the cause of only one cylinder firing.<br /><br />When gluing magnets into flywheel, they have to be oriented a certain way. The corner notch on each magnet has to be visible when you look inside the flywheel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> gotta go with seahorse. its time to find a competent tech. the ign system on this motor is not complicated. use factory parts and its done. I use 7/16 stainless bolts to space the mags. use the epoxy spareingly. make sure the surface prep is painstaking. all the mag notches must face the same direction.replacement mags are about 12 a kit and come with epoxy and instructions.and remember epoxy is like silly cone. more aint always better.good luck and keep posting

93bronco

Ensign

rite now on ebay there is a complete electrical system for an 85 235, flywheel-stator-trigger-coils-wiring harness-starter.<br />-<br />i dont know if that will work for you.<br />maybe someone here can verify if the flywheel will be compatible. 1985 235 parts <br /> although a 1985- it should still a 90 degree looper.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

2K Boat,<br /><br />A 235 is not a looper and the ignition system and flywheel are not even close. Sorry! I think the last 235 was in '83.

93bronco

Ensign

im sorry but there was a 235 in 1985, i could be wrong about it being a looper.<br />i could be confused with the 275.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

2K Boat,<br /><br />You are right, there was a 235 in '85, but it was not a looper. 1986 had the first big block loopers. In '88 the flywheel and ignition system was completely changed from the '86 and '87 versions.