1969 johnson 85hp cooling problem

phatmanmike

Captain
i know these motors dont have "pee tubes" like the newer ones, but how do i tell if it is properly circulating water, does it come out of the exhaust with the prop or does it come out of the exhaust ports just under the power head. i took off the thermostat and the tubes coming from each side and the tubes were real dry rotted and powdery and inside the water tubes to th eheads was really dry and powdery too. it overheated in the lake yesterday( my first day out with this motor) and stalled, the temp on the block was 320 degrees F with my craftsman voltmeter/thermometer. here are my questions<br />1. what is the safe operating temp<br />2. what is the water circulation route<br />3. how do i know if the cooling system is working properly<br />thanks guys youve been a great help since day one !

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 johnson 85hp cooling problem

1.if using thermomelt sticks<br />140 degree shuld melt<br />170 degree shuld not<br /><br />3. some of the water is coming ot of the exhast above water<br /><br />If this is a new engine to you :<br />a replace impaller , maybe pumphousig too .<br />b replace venatherm , or atleast check it .<br />c check valve + springs in the thermostate housing<br />( Strongest spring on the venatherm , veakest on the pressure release valve )<br />d check/clean water intake on the lower unit.<br /><br />You shuld be able to hold your fingers on the head some secouds whitout burning them