EVINRUDE 225s 18 volts??

benchmark

Cadet
just bought a grady white with twn 1995 225 evinrudes. boat test great except tachs erratic and volt meters pegged out at 18 volts at 3500 rpm. found that the on board batt charger was putting 30 - yes 30 volts to the accessory battery and cooked it. the 2 eng readings were good. am no longer using the on board charger. -ill check for loose wiring but is this a volt/reg/rectifier issue? any experiance would be appreciated.<br />regards

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: EVINRUDE 225s 18 volts??

If its wired correctly and the batteries are good, the regulators are probley bad. I would also check the stator, magnets in the flywheel, and upper main bearing housing bolts. If the bolts are loose, remove , clean, reinstall with loctite red, torque bolts to specs.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I've seen a lot of bad voltmeters lately. Turn the key to ON and see if they read near 12 Volts first. Bad ones will read 16 instead of 12, then when you fire up the motor, they will peg at 18.

benchmark

Cadet

thanks for the help. i did swap out a volt meter on the port eng that was not going back to zero.<br /><br />i checked and tightened all the batt connections and the tachs and volt meters are reading correctly at idle on ears.<br />ill have to put it in the water to run it up and check the tachs/<br /><br />how do i test the regulators on the trailer at the house?<br /><br />thanks again