"ob", "jb" where did you put your fuel filter and which OMC

wuzafed

Seaman
I' still working with my 1995 90 hp evinrude. I have a "contaminated fuel tank" that was FULL OF "CRUD". Getting the boat back in the morning but need help as to which (what number) fuel/water separator filter I need. Also I'm putting it in a 1983 Boston Whaler 17' Mntk. Any good location recommendations? Where did you put yours? Thanks Ron

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: "ob", "jb" where did you put your fuel filter and which

Hi, Wusafed.<br /><br />Get any cartridge type filter/seperator. Mount it inside the console. Mine is on the starboard wall.<br /><br />Run your fuel line from the tank, through the rigging tunnel into the console and onto the filter inlet.<br /><br />Rig your bulb between the filter outlet and a fuel line. Run the fuel line throught the tunnel to the engine.<br /><br />That's the way mine is rigged. At first I thought it was a nuisance to have to open the console to pump up the bulb, but I only need to do it once per outing so it is not a problem.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ob

Admiral

My setup is slightly different whereas my fiberglass 15 gal fuel tank is situated under the operators bench seat.Incorporated just an inline clear plastic (Tempo) fuel filter 12" from tank pickup fitting.Fuel line runs from there through the rigging tunnel and my primer bulb is near the splash well to the rear of the operators seat.The only other fuel filter is the stock one under the cowl before the fuel pump.

wuzafed

Seaman

Thanks Guys, for getting back to me. <br /><br />Does that tempo filter only pull out soilds? I have cleaned the tank again and hope I got it all this time. Had some kind of black watery/sludge/goo flowing around in the bottem of the tank. I was thinking about going with the tempo for now and over the winter redoing the system like JB has his. Thanks Ron

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hey OB, So you don't use a Water/Seporator filter on yours?

ob

Admiral

Rickdb1boat.Nope.Just the particulate filters.Haven't felt the immediate need for one to date on my setup.I have however entertained the notion of installing one.If I do ,I'll try to find one that is all plastic or composite material.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced my bulb. It is mounted in the usual place right in front of the engine.<br />But, each week when I go out, the fuel line is empty, and pumping the bulb sometimes fills the line, sometimes only after I have cranked the engine to create a vacuum.<br />I don't like this because the VRO pumps too much oil at first, dirting up my plugs.<br />I have a 65 gallon tank under the floor, so the fuel has to be sucked thru 5' of hose.<br />There is a inspection port hole cover, so I could mount the bulb right at the tank.<br />But, I was thinking of mounting a petcock (on-off valve) right at the tank, and elliminating the bulb all together.<br />As long as I remember to shut off the valve when taking the boat out of the water, it should work.<br />This way, there would never be any air in the line to bleed out.<br /><br />What do you guys think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Dawg.<br /><br />Please don't derail another post with a different question.<br /><br />Make a new thread.<br /><br />Thanks. :)

wuzafed

Seaman

"ob" great idea, about the composit base for the filter. I have a metal one on the other rig and every year I have to remove the entire filter system and go to the vice to remove the filter. Where have you seen the composit filter bases? Maybe I'm just looking on the wrong shelf. Thanks

wuzafed

Seaman

I ended up using both your systems!<br /><br /> Yesterday I was going to install two new tanks , but couldn't work out the details. removed the old tank and completely drained it and tried to get out all of the "black tar" that I could. When in the tanks it would flow like honey and was really sticky. When it drys out it is hard "tar". Got out all I could (most of it) and put in a Racor filter/sep like you did jb, before the bulb. I looked for a composit filter mounting debvice, but couldn't find one. After the bulb in reinstalled the tempo that the dealer had just put in the other day. Took out the fuel pickup and cleaned it. It was half blocked. Replaced all fuel lines from the tank to the motor. That outta do it! (I hope) Thanks