2003 Johnson 150

dartman

Seaman Apprentice
Are there any inherent problems with the 150 Johnson, and what measures can I take to help prevent the problem(s) from occurring? Is it necessary or recommended to change the plugs after the break-in period? Any advantage to running the FICHT oil? The dealer says the FICHT oil has additives that would prevent carbon deposits from forming? Any tips to help ensure a long life for my 150 would be appreciated.<br />Thanks!

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2003 Johnson 150

That motor has been around since 1991 and is fairly bullet proof. Normal maintenance is all that is really required - neglect will kill them almost as fast as running one out of oil. Refer to the owners manual for the recommended maintenance intervals and products to use.<br /><br />The Ram Oil is good stuff - it will soon get a name and packaging change and will become XD-50. It will certainly "minimize" carbon deposits, I don't know about "prevent". Compared to the Evinrude Johnson TCW-3 oil (amongst others) it deos burn much cleaner. Personally I don't think it "stinks" as bad as TCW-3.<br /><br />-John

CKJR

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2003 Johnson 150

dartman- I put a pair of johnson 175's on my boat and they have been problem free this season (65 hours so far) except for a pan trim switch. i also use the ram ficht oil. the oil i buy in bulk. you want to make sure to prop it right 5400 to 5500 rpm light load. good luck!!!