1983 Johnson 4 seahorse

JustsayMo

Cadet
Hello,<br />I took my Johnson J4BRHCT out yesterday for a test run. Everything was fine for about 20 minutes and then I the motor stopped and could not be restarted. Upon inspection I noticed the intake port (or what I believe to be) on the front side of the shaft was blocked by some sea-weed. <br /><br />My question is, how much damage have I done to the engine? <br /><br />Also, how much water should be coming out of the six ports in the back of the shaft? I never noticed more than a trickle.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mo

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1983 Johnson 4 seahorse

Mo,<br />You should be OK. If it's really going to keep you up at night not knowing for sure, do a compression test. You have to watch the lower unit water pickup vents for that model. I usually have the most problem with Cottonwood tree fluff. If you hold your hand near those idle relief vents at the rear of the motor, your hand should get wet from the spray. Little or no spray, replace the water pump impeller.

JustsayMo

Cadet

Is replacing the impeller a do-it-yourself job?<br /><br />I'm mechanically inclined but have NO experience with outboard motors. <br /><br />Thanks again!<br />Mo

Xcusme

Commander

Yup, it's an easy job to replace the water pump impeller. A shop manual and standard tools will get the job done in no time. The manual comes in handy, and is money well spent.