When to replace prop?

Judds

Cadet
89 Evinrude (Tracker) 20hp. Used for duck hunting and backwater fishing. Edges of prop(orig)are turned over and rough from running through muck. Does it hurt to keep using this old prop? Could I put on a new prop for fishing and put the old one back on for muck running?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: When to replace prop?

Good idea Judds!! Take the muck runner off and file the turned over edges until smoothe.If this is the only damage you dont even need the new prop.Charlie

Judds

Cadet

Thanks for the info, Charlie. I like solutions that don't cost lots of $$$$ and that will give me something to do over the long MN winter.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Most props used inland get nicked edges, and can be rejuvanated with judicious filing.<br />Before you finish, though, be sure to rig up a way to make a balance point...your prop MUST balance before you put in back on your engine. If unbalanced, you're asking for lower unit problems.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If no one objects strenuously, I'd like to enter a minority opinion:<br /><br />I think that using anything less than a perfect prop on an outboard is like putting retreads on a race car; Why spend all that effort on the motor, for which the only possible result is to turn a propellor, and then use a piece of junk propellor? Pretty damned stupid if you ask me.

walleyehed

Admiral

To answer that question best; Take the prop off and have it rebuilt-take the guess-work out.<br /> Have it fixed right, and relax knowing it's in good condition.......... :)

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Judds, go big time. Get a stainless steel prop. It'll go through anything .{up to a point] nevjb