1990 Evinrude 50hp VRO want start....

JmpMstr65

Recruit
I'm new to the board. This is what I got. I just purchased a refurbished 1990 Evinrude 50hp VRO, model# ve50belesr. Vro has been disconnected. Im running 25:1 for break in purpose. I have put it in the water 4 times and have been stranded twice. The first reason was the flywheel pin, that is what the machanic told me anyway, I know nothing about outboard motors. I got it out of the shop yesterday. Took it to the river and ran it for a while, worked great, decided to go fishing today. Ran the boat for about 15 minutes turned it off and would not start. The motor sounds like it wants to as soon as you hit the key but with no luck. It has spark,it should have compression seeming it has just been rebuilt with less than a hour run time on it, the carbs have been rebuilt along with the motor. I'm am frustrated!!! :mad: Also I dont know it this has anything to do with not starting but, at WOT the engine starts surging any suggestions on this? <br />Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

ob

Admiral
Re: 1990 Evinrude 50hp VRO want start....

As to the surging at WOT ,insure that the fuel tank is venting freely and its pickup tube strainer is clear of obstructions.if primer bulb is very soft or colapsing when running it is indicative of a fuel restriction upstream of the bulb or a faulty check valve in bulb.When engine is surging at wot you could also try pumping the primer bulb and see if it picks up.If so you may have a fuel pump going south or air getting into suction side of pump via a leak.<br /><br />As for the hard to restart ,post the starting procedure that you are using when it won't start.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Since you just took it to a mechanic you might want to take it back to him and tell him that you paid him to fix your motor - - and he didn't - - and you expect him to.<br /><br />You mention flywheel pin - - if that is the flywheel key and the mechanic did not torque the flywheel down correctly (105 lbs) then in all probability the key is now sheared and the timing will be way off. If so have him do it right.

ob

Admiral

SoLittle makes a good observation and point.Could also very well be that the flywheel key is shearing again and engine is out of time.Let us know what you find.

JmpMstr65

Recruit

Thanks Solittle & OB. OB you mentioned a air leak into the fuel system which reminded me that today while trying to fiqure out what was wrong with the motor I found a fuel line that had a cut in it which I replaced. So maybe whenever I get the motor to start, that could have been the solution to the surging problem...<br />thanks again, I'll post updates when I get in touch with the machanic.