50's Fleetwin 7.5 hp

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
Although I got rid of my '72 50 hp evinrude this rear and replaced it with a brand new 90hp Merc, I have always had a fondness for Evinrude.<br /><br />So I added the fleetwin to go fishing on my 12 ft Aluminum boat. Once I got it running right (cleaned and gapped plugs, new LU oil etc etc) my little boat now even get up on plane!!!!!<br /><br />Problems:<br /><br />Motor rattles like crazy. Rattling is louder than the motor. I think my engine cover rubber mounts are done. Any idea what I can substitute it with?<br /><br />Also, my pressure tank leaks a couple of drops when pressurized and whistles while your fishing. I pull the cap off and repump when I start it up. Do I need to be concerned?

alcan

Commander
Re: 50's Fleetwin 7.5 hp

Hi Steam<br />I believe that most of the rubber parts for your bonnet caan still be had NOS. You wil need to find a dealer who carries this older stuff. Your tank needs to be over hauled. Get the parts to do this job the same place you find the bumpers. It is so much better to repair your existing tank and connector than try and buy another. Most of the time you will end up buying the same old wore out leaky system as you have. If you do a complete and through job on the one you have it will probably last another fifty years. I like to think of these tanks as a credit card to inexpencive outboards. If you have a good tank you can get all the motors you want.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

the cowling on my 3hp would rattle, so i took it off, problem solved. do not know if you can do this though.<br /><br />Hey, I whistle while i fish too, so whats the problem if the tank whistles along too :eek: . no really, you should be able to get a new hose kit for it.

D

DJ

steam,<br /><br />I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. My 1957 7.5 did the same thing. I did find the little rubber pads (new old stock).<br /><br />However, before I found them, I used a piece of rubber vacuum hose slit down the middle as a rattle eliminator. Worked great! Just didn't look right.<br /><br />You can still buy the rebuild kits for those old pressure tanks.<br /><br />Or, convert it to a new style non pressure type with a fuel pump.<br /><br />There have been posts on this board on how to do it. Use the Search feature above.

D

DJ

steam,<br /><br />I just did the search on the conversion. I used the searchwords: "convert pressurized tank".<br /><br />I got seventeen responses.<br /><br />I searched though "ALL" catagories.