Anyone that knows ANYTHING about a '64 90hp evinrude, or similar motors inside p

KillerJello

Seaman
Im having a bit of trouble with this motor (Evinrude StarFlight 90-S, Model:904935 Serial:E05923) getting the powerhead off.... I have a Seloc service manual (only one the local dealer had) <br /><br />The manual says to remove the bolts in the front and rear of the powerhead securing the powerhead to the exhaust housing.... I can see a couple of the bolts (they are directly on the bottom, and theres a seam right????) but how in the world do you get some of them out, i can get to two, but the other ones are pretty much impossible. I have a complete set of tools (over 3000 peices, not including air tools) and i have tried everything... Are there any tips at all on how to get it off the lower unit? <br /><br />Basically the motor seems seized up, though the internals look brand spanking new, even the ehaust, no carbon or anything. The motor was sitting in a field for a couple years, so i suspect something is just stuck. The lower unit is less than 4 years old, and the motor looks brand new except for the chewed up wiring from the mice which i am replacing...<br /><br />The starter cant turn the motor, neither can a flywheel turner, even with the plugs out. The cylinders look brand new, no scoring or anything, and theres just no evidence to suggest that the engine is seized up, besides the fact that i cant get it to turn. <br /><br />I plan on rebuilding this, but its kind of hard working on it with the motor still mounted to the lower unit.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anyone that knows ANYTHING about a '64 90hp evinrude, or similar motors insi

Re: Anyone that knows ANYTHING about a '64 90hp evinrude, or similar motors insi

Try tilting the motor up and squirting Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder. Let it sit for a day or two. Take a breaker bar with a socket to fit on the large nut at the top of the crankshaft and give it a go - and a whack if necessary.<br /><br />This has worked for others.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I'm lost. are the bolts to tight to turn, or that you can't get at them. To get at them, you have to remove the back shroud that surrounds the rear of the lower power head, and extends down the back of the exhaust housing. Their are both bolts & nuts that hold the power head on. As I recall, you have to lift the power head, and exhaust housing out of the swivel bracket. There is a bolt going through a rubber mount on both sides of the upper swivel bracket, 4 bolts on lower exhaust, or motor mounts. Remove to swing power head, and exhaust housing free. I have'nt had one apart for awhile, and I'm going on memory.

KillerJello

Seaman

yeah, im just having trouble getting to them... Im kinda scared to tilt the motor, as for some reason there is no clamps, or otherway to mount the motor to the test stand. It looks like a clamp mount motor, but on the back side of the clamp there is just a 1/4" peice holding it on the stand where the clamps would be. It isnt broken or anything, i looked at it, and it appears to be built that way?!?!? its hard to explain, but tomorrow i can post pictures to explain it better. I recently got the engine for free from a friend since the wiring was chewed up pretty good. Im just worried to tilt it up, as it seems like it would make it much easier to fall off the stand. Also the rear shroud looks like its directly connected to the mount/steering hinge.<br /><br />Im a newbie to outboards, but have quite a bit of experience in small engine repair, and automotive repair. Ive tried soaking the engine down to break it loose using a large breaker bar on the flywheel nut, but its still stuck... i pulled the carbs and reeds off and i cant see any problems with the crank, or any of the rods. Like i said the engine looks brand new inside and out.<br /><br />I just need to figure out the easiest way to get the powerhead off without killing myself (this engine is HEAVY, and i would hate for it to fall off the stand with the clamping problem) then once i got the powerhead off, i was gonna split the block, pull everything apart, and see what i can come up with.<br /><br />Thank you very much for your help so far.. Ive been into boat ever since i was a kid, but first time I have ever torn into an outboard.. Im kinda hoping to bring it back to life.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Like you said! that motor is heavy. Use a good, secure stand, and secure motor with two heavy "C" clamps. If you have one, use a engine hoist to swing motor out of it's mounts.Don't even think about a aluminum engine cart.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You would really be better off using a model-specific OMC service manual. You can get them from Bombardier dealers, or online from here: OMC Service Manuals

ledgefinder

Ensign

The lower unit may be stuck, making it seem like the powerhead is seized up. <br /><br />As you suspected, your transom clamps are fine. There are two missing pieces ("doglegs") that bolt to the transom. Then the motor slides down into them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> if the motor is that clean inside I would definatly check the lower unit, remove it and see if the motor turns then. most gaskets are not avalible anymore. OMC was going under and bombardia is not interested in support on anything more than 10 years or so.<br /> Good luck and keep posting

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Are the any movement anywere ? even if the lower unit is frozen there shuld be some slack when moving the flywheel.<br />Remove the lower unit first You can do it in 10 - 15 min see Forum page <br /><br />But if you want to remove the powerhead later , start by removing the lower motor cover.<br />When removed you will see the rest of the bolts .

KillerJello

Seaman

Im pretty sure the motor is in neutral, as i can freely spin the prop, the shear pin is not broken. Could it be something further up in the bottom end since the prop is still turnable? I cant get the fly wheel to budge at all, it is really stuck.<br /><br />I may try to pull the lower unit today and see if the motor will spin freely then. <br /><br />Thanks for clearing up the issue with how the mount works, I have the two dog legs that you were talking about, but I couldnt figure out what they were or how they worked, I have a pretty good idea now. :) <br /><br />I will keep you guys updated.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

If your engine are indentical to mine ( johnson 1964 90hp )<br />it has an electric gear , it needs 12v to go into gear.<br />see Johnson picture

ledgefinder

Ensign

Sure, you can definitely have zero, absolutely no, nada motion at the flywheel, due only to a stuck lower unit, and yet have the prop spin.

bruoff

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had one of those in the early 70's. Having always been an OMC man it's hard to say this!<br />Those 90's were crap from the getgo. I had mine professionally rebuilt and meticulosly slaved over that awful carb 'til it was factory perfect.<br />The darn thing just never performed up to it's rating. The two cylinder 50 that followed in the late 60's was much more powerful a motor. I traded a nice 4 cylinder 60 for it and regretted it to this day. "K'Jel", there are extra motormounts that bolt to the transom and allow this motor to slip between them and then be bolted. Any OMC mechanic should have a pair laying around. Watch out hanging that beast from that little 1/4" lip, It'll kill ya :eek:

SoulWinner

Commander

A word of caution about using a hammer to break the engine free, that can result in broken rings if they are frozen to the cylinder walls.<br /><br />When i was disasembling my motor, bought an inexpensive wrench and bent it to reach the bolts between the block and the shroud. But then my wife went out while I was taking a break and somehow got the shroud off the exhaust houseing :rolleyes:

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Any progress ?<br />If you find out that the powerhead are frozen ,after removing the lower unit .<br />don´t be afraid to remove any of the by pass covers or the exhaust cover , those gaskets are still avaible + head gaskets .