1974 johnson 15 hp lower unit install

urbanweasel

Cadet
The shift linkage on my 15 hp johnson came loose<br />what is the easiest way to get the shifting linkage back on while aligning the rest of it<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1974 johnson 15 hp lower unit install

Howdy, weasel.<br /><br />This belongs in Johnson Troubles.<br /><br />Moving it there.

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've had my lower unit of my evinrude 15 off about 4 times in the last month. When you say shift linkage came loose, do you have the screw bolt that locks the linkage in place. Also is it the top rod or the bottom rod that came out? Here's how I put mine together. First I put grease on the splines of the main shaft and the tip of the shift rod. I carefully slip the shaft up into the unit until it stops, at this point I look and see that the water tube in lined up with the rubber boot and that the shift rod alignment looks good. Then while applying pressure I turn the prop until the splines line up and the lower unit starts to move upward. At this time look at the shift rod, it should be starting to come clost to the connector. I use a large flat head screw driver and guide the rod into the connector hole while pushing up on the lower unit. Do this until the lower unit is about 3/4" away. Then I take the screw driver and lift up on the bottom of the shift rod connector until I can see that the notch on the upper rod is in far enough to put the screw in. Then I carefully screw in the bolt and the shift rods are connected. From here just use the bolt and tighten her up. Hope this helps.

urbanweasel

Cadet

Thanks for the info<br />I got a new brass connector<br />the old bolt was so messed up that it wouldnt hold<br />on to the shift rod