1963 75 hp v-4 Starflite charging problems

JJANDLARRY

Recruit
We are trying to find out if our charging system is working or not. The ammeter doesn't move at all, charge or discharge. We have checked for continuity between the contacts on the ammeter and found them all to be discontinuous, both to each other and to ground. A VOM across the battery shows the correct voltage before the engine is started. After approximately an hour or so, a re-check across the battery terminals shows a slightly lower voltage. The rpm of the motor has no effect on the VOM across the battery terminals. The repair manual says that the charging circuit should be putting out the rated capacity of the alternator when over 4000 rpm, but as we said the ammeter doesn't move. What should my next check be to determine whether I need to replace wiring (and if so, which ones), the voltage regulator (or replace the diodes), or the alternator itself? The manual seems vague on this next step, and we don't want to just replace good parts with more good parts. The hardest part of working on the engine for us is we have to do it in the middle of the lake; the water depth is insufficient to run the motor at the seawall. Thank you for any assistance you can give us.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 75 hp v-4 Starflite charging problems

Hello<br /> wow an oldie:) :) .<br />you will need to find the factory manual. most of the parts are no longer a dealer item. the system really did not work well when it was new and got worse with age.the diodes are easy to test. use a multi-meter with a diode test function. if you do not have a strong background in electrical systems AC charging systems in particular this one may be a good one for a professional. good luck on finding one. keep us posted on the checks you make.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1963 75 hp v-4 Starflite charging problems

As I recall on this age engine, you will find a heavy duty fuse in the junction box. It is a metal strap between two white porcelin insulators. see if this is blown. The insulators are about a half inch square, and are in the lower left or right of the box. R.Johnson