water on plug - good compresion

Pianh

Cadet
I am still having problems with my 1970 40hp Johnson. I am alittle lost. There are droplets of water on the lower cylinder spark plug (causing power from upper cyl only) but compression is good at 120psi in each cyl. I removed the head and there was white cloudy fluid in the lower cyl but no water under the side intake plate. There were no apparent leakage points on the cyl head gasket either. Where can the water be coming from? (Cylinder walls and piston heads looked excellent)

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water on plug - good compresion

Hi Newfie;<br />Take off the exaust plate on the other side, aand check out the gaskets on both sides of the exaust plate. There is only a few places that water can come from to enter the cylinder. The head or head gasket, a cracked cylinder wall, or the exaust plate.<br />Hope this helps, good luck

Pianh

Cadet

Thanks "almost retired again", I'll try that. I was actually hoping not to mess with the exhaust side 'cause my manual says it may be difficult to remove. But I'm game!!

rachael

Cadet

Dear Newfie<br />Its sounds like your lower powerhead seal is worn, that would be the reason only lower cylinder has water in it. Water from the leg of the engine and exhaust is getting in there. Ive seen it many times before. must remove powerhead. good luck