Should It be leaking water???

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,<br /><br />I just finished changing my lower unit seals and water pump in my 1991 225 HP Johnson. When I tested the motor in the driveway with the hose and ear muffs I noticed that water leaks out of the crack where the lower unit connects to the mid section. All 4 bolts are tight. Is this normal?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should It be leaking water???

I would have expected that at least one bolt would be hidden above the trim tab, making 5,and possibly 6. The connecting surface is not water-tight, so if water is above the lower unit, it would drain there some. Torque is 26-28 ftlb for 3/8" bolts and 45-50 for 7/16".<br /><br />Make sure the exhaust seal is properly seated and that water is flowing to the engine as indicated by flow from the tell-tale, tattle-tale, or whatever-you-call-it, below the lower cowl. <br /><br />Some of the exhaust tubes pull out, so if you have that kind, you need to check the upper seal as well.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yes it is normal to have some water spray out at the parting line. some people use silicone to seal around it. as long as water pressure is good I would not worry about the small amount of leakage at the partuing line. it is from the water pump drail fittigs and the exhaust drain area. <br /> good luck and keep posting

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fellows, UPDATE<br /><br />I finished my seal replacement in my lower unit. Well I took It for a good ride today and checked the lower unit oil when I got home. SUCCESS. NO WATER IN THE LOWER UNIT. Thanks to all for the help. Now it's time to fish.<br />Tight lines<br />Stoked not

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

go stoked. hey rockfish season for the sounds is set to open here oct 15th I think. maybe ill see ya at the manns harbor bridge . Ill be the one in the old thunderbird trihull with a 120 evinrude :) good luck and go fish