9.9 Johnson OB Won't Start

pablohuntz

Recruit
Someone just gave me a 9.9 johnson outboard for my duck boat. Its about 5 years old, but has only been used one season and ran great then. Its in great condition, but I can't get it to start. I think that there is some kind of disable switch. The throttle handle has a stop button on the end of the handle, the handle rotates clock and counter clockwise for gas, but there is a sticker in front of the handle that looks as if the handle telescopes in and out. I have gas, spark and I am starting the engine in neutral. Any suggestions for the novice?

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 Johnson OB Won't Start

pablo, hi. first, was the motor previously running, how long ago. Do you have compression, you need to check for even compression in both cylinders with a compression checker. Faulty cylinder head, crankcase or cylindersealing can be your problem or broken piston rings. Before we go there, though your kill switch might be shorted out, maybe bypass that first. Usually, though the problem is in the fuel, carb. Make sure the gas is not old, you probably need to clean the carb, maybe put in a kit, get rid of the varnish that has built up in there. here's a site for you to walk through, www.pugetsoundanglers.org Go to the fishing link and on to the Info Johnson 9.9/15 that's great place to start, but get you a good manual on your motor, it will pay you back the first time you use it. Let us know and good luck.<br />knob

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

pablo, also make sure your emergency kill switch clip is in place on the end of the idle control knob.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If ya got gas and spark, <br />that pup oughta start. :D <br /><br />Pull the sparkplug and see if it's real wet or real dry. If it's real wet you've got it flooded. Dry the plug. I spray 'um with carburetor cleaner and then blow 'um off with compressed air. If the plug is dry, either choke the livin' **** out of it or spray premix into the carb. while cranking. Get back to us, on this thread, and tell us what happens.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure you are out of gear? - See if the prop is turning freely. Is your motor a manual start model? You should find a plate on the side of the transom mount that has a model number so we can tell what year motor this is.

pablohuntz

Recruit

I thought about the kill switch but I cant find where it would go. At the end of the throttle there is a button that says "STOP" which I asume would be to kill the engine.

pablohuntz

Recruit

its a manual start and the model number is J6RCDE. I'll pull the spark plugs in about 20 minutes and let you guys know how they look thanks.

pablohuntz

Recruit

the plugs were wet. I cleaned them with a wire brush and used air. Still won't even turn over at all. Its is in neutral, but I swear its something simple with the throttle control or an emergency kill switch. I cant figure were a kill switch would go on this motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

1986 Model<br />Look for a neutral start switch behind the fuel pump. It may be stuck or need adjustment.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the kill switch is engaged, you can check continuity by removing the black and orange wire at the power pack. With this wire removed you cannot easily turn the motor off, so I would plan accordingly. <br />If that stop switch had a safety clip, then you need to replace it before you can start. <br />I'm sorry I can't be more help but my motor is an 84 electric start and it is different

skydad

Cadet

If you have gas and spark as you say in your first post, then it is not your kill or neutral switches. They would ground out the ignition and you wouldn't have spark. It should at least fire if its not flooded. I think you need to look at the compression and maybe a good carburetor cleaning or rebuild.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

How did you determine that you have spark? Spark should jump at least a 1/2" gap & be bright blue. Get back to us.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "Kill Switch" that Knobby and the others refer to is at the end of the tiller handle. If there's no clip holding it out, grab it with your fingers (or something) and see if you can pull it out slightly (about 1/4").<br /><br />When it's out, held out by a clip, the ignition is engaged. When it's in, the ignition is shorted out (killed).<br /><br />Check the spark with the spark plugs removed. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap.<br /><br />To disable the kill switch (not a good idea), disconnect the black/yellow wire from the powerpack.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

pablo, it would help also if you would give the model number off the plate or nickel sized plug on the motor so we can tellfor sure what year it is. The gap on those plugs should be .030, too wide a gap will also keep her from starting.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm like Skydad, I understood that you had spark and fuel. Do you or not?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty