Model number confusion

Randy Walden

Cadet
I have an 85 hp Johnson outboard motor with "electramatic" written on the cover. The model number is V4A-20A with serial number C587193. It does not fit the code definition used on this site. I am trying to identify the year it was made. I know it was made in Peterborough, Ont. Canada. Did Canada use a different code system? If yes, how can I identify the year? If no, then why is my number weird?

alcan

Commander
Re: Model number confusion

Hi Randy<br />You have a 1968 model. Your motor was produced by OMC before they started using the introduces system.

Randy Walden

Cadet

Thank you Admiral for your assistance. I have another question for you. I also have a 1967 Evinrude 80hp (I know the year) which uses points for the ignition system. It recently died (due to lack of compression I am told). The 85 hp Johnson uses electronic ignition. Both motors are electric shift. I have a push button controler for the 67 but no controller for the 68. Can I use the same electrical harness (it has the same number of contacts) and use my push button controller for the 85 hp motor???? I have the manual for the 67 but not the 68 (as I did not know it's year of birth). Can you or anyone help in my dilemna??<br />Randy

alcan

Commander

Hi Randy<br />Yes you can use the same control ( the push button) for the Johnson as well as the Evinrude. Both models use electro magnetic shift. I believe that the ignition wiring will differ. You sound a little unsure of the diagnosis on the Evinrude. Why don't you run a compression test for your self. Unless you know of an event that may have caused a compression loss you may just have some suck rings. You may be able to restore compression by soaking the cylenders with seafoam.