Evinrude 200 hp stalls at idle....

giorgo

Cadet
I have a 96 Evinrude 200hp Oceanpro that I bought used a couple of months ago.<br /><br />The enging will idle forever when running on the hose with the ear muffs, but sometimes intermittently when in the water (load on prop I assume is the difference..)it will stall when in idle neutral as well as when it is idling just in gear.<br /><br />It seems that this happens only after the engine is warmed up, when I first start it it idles fine (quickstart bumping the revs up?)<br /><br />sometimes in gear I have to bump the throttle just slightly (just under 1000 rpm) in gear when I hear it trying to stall.<br /><br />Apart from that the engine sounds an runs good at any other setting.<br /><br />The VRO is disabled and I run premix(decarbed and changed plugs 20hours ago)<br /><br />I have yet to adjust the linkage and idle<br /><br />Do you think this would cure it? or should I be looking into the carbs?<br />What should be the idle in neutral and just in gear? (mine idles at or near 800 rpm and that drops to 600 when I put it in gear)<br /><br />Thanks in advance for you input, it is much appreciated.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Evinrude 200 hp stalls at idle....

I would think the problem lies within the carbs. Might be gummed up a bit.<br /><br />Rebuild them..then let us know how you make out.<br /><br />TMD

giorgo

Cadet

thanks Doc, I think I'll head down that path... I can't ignore the potential risks that come with gummed up carbs<br /><br />I have added a temp gauge to the engine, and temps while running are looking normal right now<br /><br />175 F when at cruise at 3800-4000 rpm and 145-150 F at idle<br /><br />anyone know the particular part numbers I should be looking at for the carb rebuilt kits for that engine? its a E200TXEDR<br /><br />I would also appreciate any helpful info you might have on carb rebuild job, before I get into it?<br /><br />Have you found that the factory service manual is adequate for the carb job?<br /><br />Thanks again

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The factory manual will pay for itself many times over if you do your own work.

93bronco

Ensign

one is to make a diagram of your carbs in the position they are now & write the jet #s as they are on the carbs before you take them apart.<br />-<br />they could have been individually tuned at some time.<br />i would also try and put them back in the same place they came from.<br /> along with keeping the last set of plugs labeled for each cylinder/carb for reference after the rebuild. <br />to compare before & after.<br />-<br />while you are at it check all your recirculatory fittings & valves to make sure they are working properly.<br />-<br /> but most important- <br />get yourself a factory parts/service manual.<br />ebay has them all the time.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Somebody may come along and correct me but that 175* looks a little hot to me.<br />How 'bout it group?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

giorgo

Cadet

how bout it gents? is 175 F normal for 4000 rpm (does not go any higher at WOT) and 140F or so at idle<br /><br />thanks

ob

Admiral

I'm thinking that 175 is running too hot as well.Before I trusted the accuracy of whatever temp guage you are running though ,I would confirm with 163 degree thermo melt stik.If confirmed to be 175 ,first place I'd look is the T/stats.<br /><br />Also on your slow speed issue of engine stalling,before I tore into the carbs,assuming restriction on slow speed orifices, I would insure that the carb linkage rollers are inline with the scribe line on the fiber throttle cam and just touching when controls are in neutral.600 rpm in gear is borderline.May be all you need is a tweek of the throttle cable trunion.