Johnson 115. Fitch - What is it? Seals, VRO

mannyq

Seaman
I'm still a Newbie owner and appreciate all the information I find in these forums. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. <br /> <br />I've heard nothing positive about Johnson FITCH engines. A friend of mine asked quickly if my Johnson was a FITCH when I told him I bought a boat. I have no idea what FITCH stands for or what it is. Are 2000 J115VLSSS Ocean Pro Fitch or is there something to look for that will tell me? <br /><br />The Surveyor suggested i replace the seals in the lower unit since it appears that there may be a leak. Does a seal kit come complete, all seals and o-rings? Will I need any special tools. While the lower unit is out i guess it's time to replace the pump too (no maintenace records). <br />I do have a Clymer shop manual on order and expect to get it at the end of the month. Since someone may toss this question or comment, my mechanical/electrical skills are excellent and there's nothing a pry bar, sledge hammer or smoke wrench can't fix. :D <br /><br />He also found that the thermostat housing had a small crack on the cap. It's made of plastic. Do they make metal ones?<br />VRO was never setup on the engines, survey said that the pickup hose was plugged at the engine. <br />Should i set VRO up or keep mixing in tank?<br />Besides a tank(s), hose, primer bulb, etc.. What else should I do to setup the VRO besides checking all the required wiring for the alarms? Should I use individual tanks to assure myself that both engines are pumping oil correctly or stick to 1 tank?<br />I'm sure i'll be posting more questions in the future, so thanks in advance for you replies.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 115. Fitch - What is it? Seals, VRO

hello<br /> as far as I know all the johnson engines were carb. the lower unit drive shaft seals are very prone to leak. something about using the pump impeller to hold the upper shaft staedy. if the pump gets worn some the shaft wobbles excessivly and allows water in.<br />not a lot of really special tools are needed to install seals. the shift seals are just 2 orings. the bearing carrier is normally very easy to remove on that engine. always put the entire kit for a water pump. like I said the 2 piece drive shaft was a wonderful idea that really could have been better. make a careful note of the shift shaft height measured in nutral fom the case surface to the center of the rod eye. write it down and set it back the same height. as far as the VRO. I dont know if I would trust the pump now. even being plugged the diaphram may stretch inside. if you want oil injection my reccomendation would be to purchase a new pump as well. then you will have to use a system check gauge or tach. may be easist to keep premixing.<br />good luck and keep us posted

mannyq

Seaman

rodbolt,<br />Is the VRO pump similar to diaphram pumps used on most 2 stroke engines that work with pulse pressure? Are there distance limits on oil tank location from engine. If I knew that VRO was fool proof I prefer to use it Do many people alway keep oil onboard should that fail and you have to premix?

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question; does fitch motors let you hook up a serial or usb cable to read the motors history. Run time, in ideal, wide-open, etc.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> hahaha foolproof?<br /> if I said something was fool proof nature would invent a better fool.<br /> VRO worked as well as some of the other systems. all require diligent maintenace to insure it will work. the VRO pump today is not as widly variable as of years past.but it works.<br />go down to the old J/E dealer and tell him your motor model and tell him you want an oiltank and hose. standard hose lenth is about 20 ft.I am not sure about distance but there is a bulliten about height above the motor. the pump does have rubber diaphrams similar to all the other two stroke fuel pumps. I dont keep extra oil on my boat to premix. I just make sure the system is working before I leave. I cannot mix 40 gallons or so of fuel and oil while AT SEA. yes the FICT motors have the capability to store and download information. You have to have the proper software in your PC to do it. Like I said before. it is rare to see a VRO pump failure. a lot of other problems were blamed on it but the pumps worked ok. they just need to be replaced every 4-6 years.<br />good luck and keep posting

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Helios,<br /><br />Your motor is not a FICHT, which means a direct injected low emission motor. Yours is a traditional carbureted 2-stroke.<br /><br />The seal kit includes everything you need, but since it is fairly new, get the gearcase pressure checked and replace just the faulty items.<br /><br />Get the factory service manual for best results. Order part number 787070 from any authorized dealer.