lower unit leak

Yes, I was coming back from the lake and i noticed that oil was leeking out of a small seem in the lower unit on my 72 65hp evinrude, the thing is the place where its leeking out it looks like maybe the hole is a machined part its a perfect square the size 2mm x4 its right on the seem where the lower unit bolts up onto the engines shaft im not sure if im missing a piece that could of fallen off or that it simply needs a new gasket or seal of some sort this is my first boat its a clunker, help would be appreciated

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: lower unit leak

If the fluid leaking out is gearoil.<br /><br />You could need the Waterpump seal replaced or the shifter cover needs the gasket replaced.<br /><br />TMD

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should replace the water pump or at least the impeller, since you have the lower unit off

whats the average cost of an water pump skyhigh?<br />the engine has all original parts besides the overhaul i did this spring any other things needing to be replaced I know I need to replace the spark plugs boots they are over flashing on the plugs any advice is much appreciated

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bassmaster....what was the color of oil that was leaking out? If it was a dirty black, it's probably unburnt oil leaking out from the exhaust cavity. The square hole is a drain port to let water out. How big is 2mm x 4 in inch's?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yea, middleground. Rig with some age on it will do it. 'specially if it ain't been tuned in a while.

that hole is a guessed measure lol im not a math genius but its not big, I would say about no bigger then a pencil's, the oil that is coming out is a dark black, so what could be done to prevent that is it just seal or is that just excess, there quite a bit of it coming out the engine did act like it was stalling that night, i had already replaced the plugs that were fouled up, and its running good as of now

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bassmaster....some leak down is expected, ya' just can't burn all the oil. Here's how to help.<br /><br />Decarb the engine. You can use Sea Foam or any brand of choice. Follow the instructions on the can. Check the compression after decarb. Compression on each cylinder should be within 10% of each other.<br /><br />Rebuild the carb if ya' don't know how long it's been since it's been done.<br /><br />Make sure the spark will jump a 3/8 to 7/16 inch gap.<br /><br />Make sure the gas/oil mix is correct.<br /><br />This should help the drain problem.<br /><br />Thanks.

ob

Admiral

Next time you replace the waterpump,replace the rubber exhaust leg seals along with it.