Counter Rotating Outboards & Toe

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Back in May there was a thread on this but the answers didn't quite go far enough. Lets say we have a 29' Scarrab with twin 225s. What is the current thinking on which motor goes where? What would be the difference in operation?<br /><br />What is toe? Should it be in or out and how much? Would counter rotating make a difference?<br /><br />Trying to help out my neighbor who is putting his back together and these questions came up.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Counter Rotating Outboards & Toe

Standing behind the motor, toe out is when your toes are pointed out or away from each other. In is pointed towards each other. Neutral is parallel or straight ahead. Toe is measured at the nose of the gearcase vs the center of the propshaft. Not at the steering bar.<br /><br />We have found that on a 29 Scarrab (as most V bottom's) that the motors run best and get best water pressure toed out 1/16" to 1/8".<br /><br />As far as the c/r gearcase, its easy to swap them to try on a particular boat. Most times we find the c/r on the starboard side will yield a bit more top speed. <br /><br />When mounting twins on the 29' Scarrab, make sure the port motor is centered on the lifting strake - not simply XX" from the keel.<br /><br />Good luck!

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does a 30" setback on a bracket make a difference?

I'm looking for some stern lift on my 28 Pursuit.

Thanks

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bracket will make a difference, but it might not be what you want. Boat designers spend a lot of time figuring out the weights and how the boat will sit in the water. If you move the O/B's back 30", you run the risk of lowering the stern (imagine a see-saw). Some brackets do provide flotation, but not enough to counter the O/Bs

I would suggest trying some trim tabs first and see if those solve your problem, they are much easier to install/remove than an O/B

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks

My boat is a 91 Pursuit 2800 with a factory bracket and twin carbed Yam 250's
I am looking for some stern lift and would also like to know the correct tow in/out