99 Evinrude 90 HP Ficht rough idle

coxmech

Cadet
I have a 1999 90hp Evinrude ficht that until recently was running like a dream. Now it runs great at any rpm over 1000, but when you cut it back to idle it may run for a while and it may not. The local dealer said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Most of the time (if it is idling) as soon as you put in gear it cuts off. Any out there know where to start on this problem?

coxmech

Cadet
Re: 99 Evinrude 90 HP Ficht rough idle

Oh yeah, and I have noticed oil or grease inside the boat at the transon in the scupper trench. There is also some oil inside the engine housing, but I can't determine where it is coming from.

Stacey

Recruit

From what I know, the oil is normal. It's unburnt oil that accumulates in the housing and then leaks. The slower you run your engine, the mnore oil you will accumulate. At the end of the day and before you trim your motor you should ride your boat at high speed to burn the excess of unburnt oil.

coxmech

Cadet

Thanks Stacey. As far as the rough idling, I just talked to the mechanic working on it and he said that I was using the wrong oil. I had been using Pennsoil Marine 2 cycle and the plugs have been fouling out. He also said that Evinrude has changed the plugs to a NGK type. Is there really a difference in the "Evinrude Ficht Oil for injectors and regular 2 cycle marine oil?