40 hp to small?

dmurray

Seaman
I have a 1000lb bass boat (fiberglass 1989 Winner)and the 110 hp is no longer worth rebuilding. I have another boat that has a 40hp Honda 4 stroke. Would the Honda push the boat? I am not worried about speed, my concern is the motor, can it handle the load?

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40 hp to small?

I am not worried about speed,
Oars will push the boat!<br /><br />Seriously, if it's not too loaded, that should be enough to get her up on plane. A set of SmartTabs might also help.<br /><br />I'd think it's a long term decision:<br />- hassle (expense) of moving the motor<br />- hassle (expense) of moving the controls<br />- how long are you going to keep the bass boat<br />- what's wrong with re-configuring the other boat

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Most people will tell you that it is too small, I do not believe that. We sell to many customers in Europe that use smaller motors, as the gas prices are very high ($4.00 to $5.00 per gallon).<br /><br />Obviously top speed will be an issue, and getting on plane will be more difficult. This is where we sell Smart Tabs and eliminate the planing problem.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Careful weight distribution and careful prop selection will get you by.Before getting too excited be sure shaft length is the same.

D

DJ

It will probably work....IF. You invest in the right propeller so as not to be lugging the engine. You will probably be in the pontoon prop area.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Get another and pair them up. Never seen a bass boat with twins before. ;)

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

have a 1200 lbs 17' boat with 40 hp and it planes nicely with 3 people. As mentioned somewhere before....easy on the gas to here in Holland :rolleyes:

dmurray

Seaman

thanks for the posts. If I try it, I will post back to see how it works. However, I am curious about the prop size, is there a reccomended size for the weight/size of motor?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The key to the prop is that at Wide Open Throttle your engine RPMs are within the manufacturers (motor) specifications. If the RPMs are lower you can reduce the pitch, if they are higher you can increase the pitch. <br /><br />Keep this in mind, if you depend on the prop to cure all of the performance problems (getting on plane easier) then you will likely run the engine faster for every MPH, and increase fuel consumption. Boat balance is as important or even more important than HP.