Seattle Boat Show

18rabbit

Captain
I may pop into the Seattle boat show this weekend. Will anyone else be there??? Or will I be all alone in that great big boat show? :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Seattle Boat Show

I am headed to the San Francisco boat show at the Cow Palace this weekend. It is not near the show of the past but is still worth going to. Only thing that I do not like is can get in free durning the week by buying a Fishing Licence but not on the weekend.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

18rabbit<br />i am headed to the boat show in the thousand islands/alexandria by NY and then to syaracuse NY.

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks guys. I was hoping to meet up with some folks from the forum and maybe share a beer and trade stories about un-retrievable anchors or something. Won’t be anywhere near NY. I used to have a friend that owned a small marine store in the south bay. I would go to the Cow Palace boat show with him and work a booth for whatever manufacturer needed a body in exchange for a an unlimited show pass…and usually a cheesy t-shirt with someone’s advertising on it. :) For bay area boat shows the Cow Palace has had the best I have seen.<br /><br />Never been to the Seattle boat show. It looks to be pretty big. I need to talk to the Simrad folks and they will be there. Well, they’re always in Seattle since that’s where they are located.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'll be going to the Fort Worth boat show tomorrow. Maybe we should all agree to stop at our respective boat shows, & raise a beer to iboats at a specified time, say, 2:00 CDT?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Aww, dang.. Now I got the boat show jones... Fiddle-stix!!!<br /><br />I gotta wait till mid March for the Palm Beach (plumb broke) Boat show, and then the Dania marine flea market usually is a week or two after that...

18rabbit

Captain

No problem. We can all raise another beer in March.<br /> :D

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Rabbit <br />In the past the Cow Palace boat show was 10 days and by far the best in the Bay area but since the year that they canceled it it has been very poor. Last year a total waste. Only motor manufactors there was Honda and Vovo. This year looks like a lot of people came back but still the 10 outdoor huts appear to be empty.<br /><br />For Boats I think the Pleasanton Boat show is the best. They have had more electronics also the last two years.<br /><br />For Fishing Tackel the San Mateo International Sportsmens Expo is by far the best.<br /><br />I heard lot of good thing about the Seattle Boat show and If I was planning on buying a Saltwater Boat I think I would make the trip.<br /><br />I hope you will come back and tell us what your see. There are quite a number of IBOAT People up there in the area maybe they just did not see the post.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh no, not the boat show, anything but the boat show, anything, help, don't let me go, take away the car keys....<br />----------------------------------------------------<br />I am somewhat of an impulse buyer, and a boater, and my boat is 11 yrs old and wearing out, and I have no money....<br /><br />If I go to the boat show I will be facing divorce and financial ruin. Arrrrgggggghhhh..

18rabbit

Captain

Boatist – the last time I worked the boat show at the Cow Palace was in early 90’s. Also the last time I've been to it but it was pretty big at that time. The boss a.k.a. ‘woman’, has decided we should go to the Seattle boat show next weekend.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Rabbit<br />Well I went to the Cow Palace show on Sunday the 16, the last day. Show opened at 10 and in the main hall at 10:30 one of the booth was packing up. The booth next to him ask if he was packing up already and his reply was yes or I could have them all take a number. Of course there was no one there. I think this was the last show at the Cow Palace as the venders will not come next year.<br /><br />5 Years or more in the past their were people every where and could hardly go where you wanted to. It is not that way now. Old days they filled the main hall the north and south hall all the outdoor areas all 12 outdoor halls and even had tents for the budwiser boats and their sponsor. Jelley Belly had a tent.<br /><br />This year the main hall, North and South hall filled. Only thing outside or down the ramp was the kids fishing pond. Lowrance had a booth but did not have any of the great new units coming out this year. Lowrance rep running booth did not even know how to work the old units or any of their specs.<br /><br />It is sad to see what has happened to Johnson and Evinrude. NO one in their booth at all. I stopped by to take a look and they had no product handouts. Had about 9 motors there mostly Etec and a few Sukuzi Kickers. I ask if the company was still for sale and they said yes. I suspect they will soon go bankrupt again. Who would buy a motor from them when their main goal is to sell the company. I do not think they make a single 4 stroke motor they just buy someone elses motor and put their name on them. Walking around the boat show I tried to find any boat with a Johnson or Evinrude mounted on the boat but did not find one. Instead mostly Mercury and a few Hondas.<br />I hope they survive and grow as a lot of people who need a source of part for their old motors, including me.<br /><br />Love to here what you see at the Seattle Show both in number of boats and if you see any mounted with Johnson or Evinrude motors.<br /><br />Pleasanton Now seem to be the best show in the Bay Area.

18rabbit

Captain

Boatist - I don’t think I will waste time on a Bay Area boat show again. The Seattle show was big and busy, somewhat overwhelming initially. Talked to a couple booths that do the boating trade show circuit (all the show) and they both said Annapolis on the East coast, Seattle on the West, everything else it limited. One of the coasties in the USCG booth mentioned the boat trade was larger in Washington than it is in Florida.<br /><br />Didn’t see your post until I got back. But now that you mentioned it, I didn’t see any Johns or ‘rudes on any of the boats, only Japanese motors. But I wasn't looking for them so if there were any, there wasn't much of them. If I had seen your post I would have looked for the John/’rude booth but as it was I wasn’t there for outboards.<br /><br />The vender booths total floor size was about double that of the entire Cow Palace arena, not including the exhibit halls. Indoor boat section was about the size of the Cow Palace floor plus a couple exhibition halls. A lot of aluminum boats, small ones to big ones. Just a lot of boats. Free shuttle down to the boats at the pier, but we didn’t go because it got dark early. It was funny to see a guy selling kayaks next to one of the largest boats on display indoors. Almost everything was powerboat related. Maybe both sides of a 30-ft isle was dedicated to sailing paraphernalia. One booth for wooden boat building. <br /><br />Seems like everybody was there, either with a factory booth or represented by one or more venders. It’s nice to be able to bounce the same questions off of several knowledgeable sources; each has a little something extra to add.<br /><br />If you book 14-days in advance on Southwest Airlines the roundtrip costs $160/person, or less. A room downtown is about $80/couple per night. You don’t need a car, free bus all over downtown Seattle and to the boat show. Take the wife and make a 3-day weekend out of it. It’s less than a 2-hr flight from the Bay Area. There’s tons of stuff to see and do, all within 15-min walk around downtown. Good food (and coffee) everywhere. Caution: one of those Pyramid brewery/restaurants is across the street from the convention center/boat show and if you go there for lunch (and beer) it could slow down the rest of the day. :) If you wanted to do it less expensively, you could fly up in the a.m., for a couple bucks take a bus to the show, then fly back in the evening.<br /><br />Woman brought her Feng Shui book so I was let off my leash to roam at the show. Garmin’s new radar is just flat out scary! It’s a huge, flat radome! As more of that Garmin radar are sold, I can imagine an increase of reported UFO sightings in the harbor. I talked with ACR about EPIRBs, learned how they work, why the differences in product designs, etc. A lot of misconceptions about those critters; i.e. internal GPS function and auto-deploy. Awl Grip and Interlux had booths on different isles. I asked why, they still pretend they aren’t talking to each other (they’re owned by the same company). The two companies are being redirected; Awl Grip is coming out with some interior marine paint products and will be targeting the boatyard market with their product lines; Interlux has already begun updating their product line and will increase marketing targeting the D.I.Y. folks. I spent a lot of time in the Simrad booth talking to techs about interfacing radar to their autopilots for collision avoidance, updating my AP-20. Also curious about Simrad caving in and allowing radar overlay of charts. Fwiw, Simrad’s new wide-angle transducer wasn’t there! It got lost in transit from the NY boat show to Seattle…so they say. I think the Florida office sold it at the NY. Got the low-down from Wesmar about stabilizing fins for the Rabbit. It’s going to be a little more pricy than I thought.<br /><br />Next year we’ll probably go again, make another 3-day weekend out of it. We’ll use the boat show as an excuse to go wonder around downtown Seattle and relax for a weekend. The boat show ($20) is open until 8pm so one long day there should be enough. I’d like to go down to the docks first thing, while it’s still light out (short days in January), see those boats, then spend the rest of the day indoors at the boat show.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Rabbit <br />Great report, sound like it was well worth the trip. I am a big fan of Aluminum boats and have seen some of the boats built in the Seattle at Bodega Bay. Every boat show I look for Aluminum Boats in the 24 foot range but must admit now I know exactly what I want and have not seen it anywhere. My Wife good for about 3 or 4 hours and she is ready to go. When I start looking at electronics she get board.<br /><br />Crestliner a few year back had what I thought was the perfect hull. Great deep V bow but not to deep at the stern. So should ride nice and not roll too much. Reverse Chims all the way for a dry ride and fast to plane even with out trim tabs. Wife and I loved the hull. Then we climed aboard and found the worst insides we have ever seen. Had 3 live wells but no place to store Poles, tackles boxes, Life Jackets, Flare kits, change of clothes, Cameras, tool box, charts, towels, landing net, Ice chests, fenders, ect. No way we could buy it. Talk to the factory rep for 2 hours but he just did not under stand that a boat should have a place to store all the gear. Crestliner has now been sold to a group that owns lots of boat brands but none over 21 feet.<br /><br />Anyway thanks for the great report and would love to here what your found out about the EPIRBs. I looked at the 406 Mhz units and would love to buy one but so far just out of my price range until I need one. With the 54 degrees water temperatures in ocean area we go not sure you would get help in time to save ones life.<br /><br />Great report