Fiberglass Repair

FreeBeeTony

Captain
The screws holding the hinge on my anchor locker pulled out of the fiberglass. The boat is a '78 20' Grady White. Not all of the screws pulled out, probably half. And I don't think I can just use bigger screws, the holes are kinda on an edge. Is there something I can fill the holes in with and then re-drill them?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fiberglass Repair

Every boater ought to have some Marine Tex in the garage. It is the absolute best for this type of repair as well as for routine scrapes, nicks and gouges. It is a two part product and is like steel when cured.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

So would I fill in the holes with this "Marine Tex" and re-drill the holes?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If there's some way to get some backing, maybe wood or plywood to git the screws into that would be the best way. Other than that some sort of epoxy like Solittle says will have to do. The problem with threading screws into f/g is that they will always end up cracking and enlarging the holes. Backing is alwayd the best way. Chief

Bondo

Staff member

You've got it, Tony.............<br /><br />Marine-Tex is an epoxy based Putty.......<br /><br />Fill...<br />Sand...<br />Paint...<br />Drill..<br /><br />Just a Really Strong Putty.....

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks guys.........<br /><br />I got the fever already........

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thinking out loud: <br /><br />If you couldn't get access to put in backing, what if one were to drill the hole bigger than the screw, fill with something like J&B weld, drill the middle of the J&B weld 'plug' to the correct size, and put the screw into that?<br /><br />I figure the screw wouldn't pull out of something as strong as J&B weld, but don't know if the whole J&B weld plug might pull out of the fiberglass if enough stress were put on it.... <br /><br />Thoughts?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

JB weld and Marinetex are basically the same in this application. Marinetex is thicker and easier to mold and workwith for making a plug, but I would still like a backerplate anyplace there is a screw. Also I would drill the hole thru the f/g larger than the screw so there wasn't any pressure put on the glass. Seen way too many spider cracks start at screws in f/g without backing. just a thought, Chief :)

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What about drilling, then filling with Marinetex and putting the screw in before the Marinetex has set off?<br /><br />Would that hold strong enough without spider cracking? The screw sure wouldn't pull out of the Marinetex.