Hydraulic steering

jluke

Recruit
i have a capilano hydraulic steering head in my boat that leaks around the steering wheel shaft. Can I get this seal replaced? Is it something I could deal with myself or am I better off getting a new head (about $500). <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />jluke

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Hydraulic steering

Welcom to the iboat forums!!! :) <br /><br />That seal is very much replaceable if your model of pump model isn’t too weird...and usually less than $500. If it is anything like mine (Wagner) there are a couple seals you will probably want to replace at the same time, kind of a mini-maintenance routine for the pump. Should be a kit available with instructions from the fine folks at Sea Star. Also checkout their faq and site map for instructions on how to add/maintain fluid if you don’t already have those.<br /><br /> http://www.seastarsteering.com/REPLACE_PARTS/replace.htm <br /><br />Seal kits are available for Capilano pump models 250v, 275v, 1350, 1250v, and 1275v but you have to get them thru a distributor. If you need a part not listed, contact Sea Star’s tech support. All the info is on the Sea Star web pages.

jluke

Recruit

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll give it a shot. The lower helm (the leaking one) has no model or serial number on it, but it may be on the upper helm. I'll check when I go to the boat this week. Thanks again, there is such a wealth of knowledge on this site!

jluke

Recruit

I e-mailed Tele Flex to try find a dealer that I could order the part from. Marc sent me a message that if that was all I needed, he'd would send me one at no charge. You don't often see THAT kind of customer service!

Bondo

Staff member

That's Good to Know about Tele-Flex.........<br /><br />I've also had as Good a Luck with the people from Bennett Trim Tabs........(the Tab-Men used to show up here, at iboats forums, on occasion)<br />And, Raymarine was Great with my auto-pilot.......Once I finally got the Right Person on the phone..........<br />And,<br />Let's not forget Nauti-John from Nauticus.... His Smart-Tabs are an Unbelieveable Simple System that Really Works....... <br />And, If they need a little Tuning, John is There to Help........ Ya, the Owner.......