Sea Swirl windcreen

benhandasyde

Cadet
We have juts brought a 89 seaswil tempo and it is a bowrider. the windscreen door is strange as it doesnt sit right when closed. there is a big gap at the top and a smaller one at the bottom. what has caused this? could the hull be bent?<br /><br />P.S Great forum

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sea Swirl windcreen

I've also got an '89 tempo bowrider. Don't think I can help with your question, but I'm curious. <br /><br />What do you mean by a windscreen door? Do you mean the fold over windshield that allows passage to the front of the boat? I haven't got anything else to block off air passing through below the windshield. I also just looked through the '89 Seaswhirl brochure and didn't see any option for what it sounds like you're describing. Is it possible that the 'windscreen door' is an adaptation someone added themselves instead of a Seaswirl feature?

benhandasyde

Cadet

yes the winshield door is what i am talking about. i should have been more clear when it is closed the gap between the door and the windscreen is bigger at the top and smaller at the bottom. any ideas on what caused this

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Benh,<br /><br />If it was the other way around I'd wonder whether someone leaned heavily on top of the 'windshield door', bending the hinges enough to create the gap you describe. <br /><br />But since it's the opposite, I wonder if perhaps someone fell heavily into the top part of one of the side glass panels, slightly bending the aluminum frame that holds the glass. Seems like that might account for the difference in size between the top and bottom gaps (frame would bend more at the top than at the bottom). I'm no expert, but to me that logically seems to make more sense than a 'bent hull'.<br /><br />Is there any flex if you try to 'pull' the top side of the side window frame towards the middle of the boat? Perhaps attach one of those ratcheting hold down straps near the corners where the side windshield frame meets the front and slowly tighten to see what happens? <br /><br />I'm winging it here, thoughts based on logic (or at least my sense of it) and certainly not any experience. If you try this please go slow and easy. I don't want to contribute to any further or even worse damage!<br /><br />By the way, my boat is a 4.3L tempo, I've had it about 10 years, still less than 450 hours on it, and it's been a great boat. <br /><br />If you haven't already seen this, suggest you familiarize yourself with the following info on Cobra sterndrives. Awesome colllection of information; the one big problem I've had resulted from taking my boat to a repair shop that wasn't experienced with OMC. This site will explain what the issues are.<br /><br /> http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now that I think about it, don't know how good an idea it would be to put much pressure on the window frames. With glass involved and the chance of breaking it from stress, might not be worth taking a chance.